Lawrie

Jake

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 1, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
Dude embodies who I would be if my career went to the MLB level. Every aspect of his character on the diamond is a carbon copy of the hi8is way.

You mean the kind, loving hippie-go lucky tree-hugging nature type? :P

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 1, 2016 -> 07:15 PM)
You mean the kind, loving hippie-go lucky tree-hugging nature type? :P

Balls to the wall, 100% intensity, team playing, grab the bull by the horns with complete focus in every moment, fully sleeved tattoo maniac.

Follow him on Instagram. You could tell he's a sports freak (though not many posts on baseball) and that's probably where his enthusiasm and competitiveness come from.

And he's also tight with Melky, probably dating back to their days in Toronto. Coming in new already good friends with someone on the team probably helped him mesh in with rest of the team pretty quickly.

His walk rate is up a bit higher than his career average so not sure how sustainable it is. Maybe he's turned a corner, but most likely he will regress a little. His defense has been very good and should only get better with consistent play at 2B.

He's quickly becoming a favorite player of mine. I love his intensity, and I think it's having a positive impact on the team. I know there was that Cubs homer saying he's pissing everyone off, but I don't think that could be further from the truth. That sort of passion and intensity is what the Sox have been missing for years.

On top of all of that, he's hitting well and playing in the field well. He's got some surprising power. I wouldn't be surprised to see 15-20 HRs from him. As far as his glove, we can probably not worry anymore about his transition to second base.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 2, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
He's quickly becoming a favorite player of mine. I love his intensity, and I think it's having a positive impact on the team. I know there was that Cubs homer saying he's pissing everyone off, but I don't think that could be further from the truth. That sort of passion and intensity is what the Sox have been missing for years.

On top of all of that, he's hitting well and playing in the field well. He's got some surprising power. I wouldn't be surprised to see 15-20 HRs from him. As far as his glove, we can probably not worry anymore about his transition to second base.

He hit 16 last year playing half his games in Oakland, so 15-20 this year shouldn't be surprising at all.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
He hit 16 last year playing half his games in Oakland, so 15-20 this year shouldn't be surprising at all.

Also had 12 in 2014 in just 282 plate appearances. That's about a 25 homer pace for a whole year. 20 wouldn't surprise me at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
It would shatter some stereotypes if Lawrie finally had his breakout year with the White Sox, instead of somewhere like Toronto.

Not only that, but he'll keep the "only go after veteran AL guys" theme alive. :lol:

After last night's game, Lawrie now has a very impressive 14.5% BB rate. What's even more impressive is that in the first 14 games of the season he had just one BB. Since that point his walk rate has been an insane 25.8%. Obviously that is unsustainable because that exceeds even peak Frank Thomas numbers but it's still nice to see as one of Lawrie's downfalls coming into the year was his low walk and lack of patience. Coming into the season his career BB rate was 6.1%. He could go his next 161 PAs without drawing a walk and still be at his career mark. The big question is whether this is by design or a just a fluky occurrence.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 6, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
After last night's game, Lawrie now has a very impressive 14.5% BB rate. What's even more impressive is that in the first 14 games of the season he had just one BB. Since that point his walk rate has been an insane 25.8%. Obviously that is unsustainable because that exceeds even peak Frank Thomas numbers but it's still nice to see as one of Lawrie's downfalls coming into the year was his low walk and lack of patience. Coming into the season his career BB rate was 6.1%. He could go his next 161 PAs without drawing a walk and still be at his career mark. The big question is whether this is by design or a just a fluky occurrence.

Probably fluky but the umps seem to call the borderline pitches against him, which is odd.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 6, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)

He's put together some really good at bats from everything I've seen. I think he's only chased a high fastball or two, but otherwise his approach has been really sound at the plate. I think the uptick in BB% might end up being real. It will definitely regress a little from where it is now, but I still think he finishes the season with his career best rate.

On a side note, is anyone else surprised Lawrie hasnt been tried in the 2 hole yet? I realize it's a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" situation right now, but this offense would look a lot better with his OBP in front of Abreu and Frazier right now.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 6, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
I really, really, really hope the Sox lock up Lawrie long term.

The guy is the prototypical dirtbag player that the Sox have lacked for years. He fits the personality of the team to a tee.

I don't know if we need to lock him up, but he'd been a welcome addition. I love his fire, and it is definitely what this team has lacked the past few years. Love that he leads the team in walks - that OBP has always been one of his major weaknesses, and the concerns about his glove were certainly exaggerated. Dude can throw some leather.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 6, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
I really, really, really hope the Sox lock up Lawrie long term.

The guy is the prototypical dirtbag player that the Sox have lacked for years. He fits the personality of the team to a tee.

I'd like to see him extended, too. He is definitely what this team needed.

A rising tide raises all ships. Is funny how everyone seems to play better when the team is winning. When we hit that 2-8 streak the true steady cornerstone players will emerge. If he plays steady through those downturns, lock him up.