Lawrie

Jake

QUOTE (Tex @ May 6, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
A rising tide raises all ships. Is funny how everyone seems to play better when the team is winning. When we hit that 2-8 streak the true steady cornerstone players will emerge. If he plays steady through those downturns, lock him up.

Good point. Winning and losing are contagious, and playing well and playing poorly are contagious as well. I hope that guys like Lawrie and Frazier (among others) are the type that continue to play well when things are not going well. Those are the type of players you need. They can turn a team around with the right attitude.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 1, 2016 -> 10:11 PM)
Dude embodies who I would be if my career went to the MLB level. Every aspect of his character on the diamond is a carbon copy of the hi8is way.

I haven't seen him take a single dump

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind him stirring it up vs. KC if we get off to a bad start on Friday. If it's 4-0 Royals and that stiff, Gee, is mowing us down, I wouldn't mind Lawrie starting a fight or something. Anything but Royals sweeping us in the Cell.

• 3 weeks later...

Lawrie strikes me as the rare Sox player who cares about the team's success and is thusly trying to hit 5 run HR's every time he comes up to bat and failing miserably. When they're good, he's good. When they're bad, he's bad.

Still, I cant fault him. He has to be wondering why none of his teammates give a s*** or the manager sleeps during games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2016 -> 10:12 PM)
I wouldn't mind him stirring it up vs. KC if we get off to a bad start on Friday. If it's 4-0 Royals and that stiff, Gee, is mowing us down, I wouldn't mind Lawrie starting a fight or something. Anything but Royals sweeping us in the Cell.

I never understood this fan concocted macho part of baseball. It would look really bad on the Sox part.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 12:42 AM)
I never understood this fan concocted macho part of baseball. It would look really bad on the Sox part.

The Yankees in their hey day would often take a cue from Casey Stengel who'd often tell them, "now don't be afraid to start something, we'll all be right behind you" if they were in a slump.

Two of the most vicious real baseball fights took place at Comiskey Park between the Yankees and the Sox in June 56' and June 57'

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 01:59 AM)
Serious question and I'd like specifically Fathom's answer: Is Lawrie any better than Beckham? Pls. answer this.

not defensively but offensively of course. He's not great. His swing and miss rate is insanely bad. But he has flashes. Unfortunately like a lot of our other guys he's streaky as hell and right now he's a sure out. And that's killing them. But also he needs to be the 7th best bat in lineup and with our team he's top 4.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 06:13 AM)
I wonder if he is better than Carlos Sanchez.

It blows my mind that with all the information available at the click of mouse that people choose to stay uninformed. Sanchez has never had an OPS+ over 65, Lawrie is at 98 right now. Sanchez. Is. AWFUL.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 05:40 AM)
It blows my mind that with all the information available at the click of mouse that people choose to stay uninformed. Sanchez has never had an OPS+ over 65, Lawrie is at 98 right now. Sanchez. Is. AWFUL.

He may very well end up a career utility guy but it blows my mind that someone would base their opinion of what he's done in his Major league career having played sporadically and is only 24. According to BR he had a 67 OPS + for the one year he got close to 400 AB . Nothing to crow about but it is higher than 65.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 07:40 AM)

Does defense, age and opportunity get to be put into the equation?

By the way I am not a Sanchez fan but fail to see the impact of Lawrie at this point other than the stupid ass mouth piece and striking out over 200 times this season.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
Sanchez is garbage. Lawrie has much more potential.

I think they are both garbage and Sanchez can do it without giving up anything and costing less money as well as not having the ability to be annoying which my guess Lawrie is at this point with the team sucking.

You're reaching the end of the line on "potential" at this point in Lawrie's career.

He started off great and has become roughly an average 2B...which would be fine if we were getting production from other positions than Frazier, Cabrera and Eaton.

One thing's pretty clear, Sanchez and Saladino are still much more likely utility players at the big league level than legit starters.

Now, perhaps if other teams continue to buy into that word potential, he could fetch a really useful piece at the trade deadline this year or next...and they could move Saladino/Sanchez back to second in order to make room for Tim Anderson.

Then figure out a replacement in the offseason if Saladino/Sanchez can't hit well enough to hold down the position (ala Avisail Garcia this year).

You're reaching the end of the line on "potential" at this point in Lawrie's career.

He started off great and has now become roughly a league average 2B (overall)...which would be fine if we were getting production from other positions than Frazier, Cabrera and Eaton.

One thing's pretty clear, Sanchez and Saladino are still much more likely utility players at the big league level than legit starters.

Now, perhaps if other teams continue to buy into that word potential, he could fetch a really useful piece at the trade deadline this year or next...and they could move Saladino/Sanchez back to second in order to make room for Tim Anderson.

Then figure out a replacement in the offseason if Saladino/Sanchez can't hit well enough to hold down the position (ala Avisail Garcia this year).