Sox attended Lincecum showcase day - Angels expected to sign him

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (kevo880 @ May 12, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
Interesting. I'm encouraged by Miguel Gonzo's last start anyways. Let's see if he can keep it up!

I agree he'll get another start, but I feel like we need to get Rodon going and approach the current situation like we need another pitcher.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
FYI, the Sox arent all that interested, but the media manipulation is interesting.

The 2016 Chicago White Sox, your go to media manipulation team of choice!

Strange continuing trend.

Well, you can't argue we manipulated the Tigers into overpaying for Upton, because we were never a bidder. If it helped to force Gordon's price up, great (but pretty sure that it wasn't the media manipulation at play there as much as a counteroffer). That said, we'll find out soon enough which teams in the ALCD have the additional resources to make changes/improvements in the next 2 1/2 months.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 12, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 6m6 minutes ago

Best options at present for Tim Lincecum are starting jobs with white sox or angels and pen with SFGiants

Heyman is also the one who reported that he was hitting 92 in his outing, no?

QUOTE (hi8is @ May 12, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
The 2016 Chicago White Sox, your go to media manipulation team of choice!

Strange continuing trend.

I don't know if it's strange. White Sox are both in 1st place and known to have a potential #5 starter opening after dfa'ing Danks. It makes perfect sense for Lincecum camp to lie and say Sox are interested. It's plausible to other teams who are interested and therefore provides leverage for him.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 12, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
Take a look at Lincecum's stats. ERA might have gone up but less hits than innings pitched and lots of strikeouts. But walks are up. Injury was hip related and not arm trouble. He might be worth the shot

Yeah, I'm starting to warm to the idea. Fifth starter. Worth a shot

I doubt Ranaudo's being linked to the Lincecum signing (or not).

If anything, they need another reliable arm or two in the bullpen. I guess we'll find out, depending on whether he's pushed into the Charlotte rotation.

Right now they have Johnson, Turner, Volstad and Marin.

Beck in AA might be bumped up again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 12, 2016 -> 08:12 PM)
Not sure how reliable he is, but Max Wildstein said on Twitter that the Sox are the "favorites" to sign Lincecum. Take that for what it's worth.

I give my dogs reporting more weight in the baseball world than Wildstein... And I don't even have a dog.

FoxSports still reporting that same story...Giants/Angels/White Sox as the three finalists.

Wonder what the benefit to the White Sox of "being involved" is if there's no legitimate interest? Is it really going to make a difference to drive up his price a couple of million for the Angels, who realistically only have a 10-15% chance at competing for a wild card spot?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2016 -> 12:02 AM)
FoxSports still reporting that same story...Giants/Angels/White Sox as the three finalists.

Wonder what the benefit to the White Sox of "being involved" is if there's no legitimate interest? Is it really going to make a difference to drive up his price a couple of million for the Angels, who realistically only have a 10-15% chance at competing for a wild card spot?

I doubt the Sox are doing anything. So why would his agent use the Sox? I can think of two possibilities that both lead to completely different conclusions.

A. The Sox and a pennant race are his #1 choice. His agent is hoping that fans will jump on the bandwagon and start metaphorically or literally chanting his name and placing a little pressure on the front office.

B. He has no interest in the Sox, and his agent doesn't have any players with the team, so if the team gets pissed about the smoke screen there isn't anything lost.