Johnson Back Down

BigHurt3515

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
He was a compete train wreck during his stretch here in 2014, and took months to recover from it in the minors. His 2015 numbers look nice with that 3.34 era, but the dude had a 5.93 fip.

And his WHIP was 1.4 for that, that's just not good enough. Burns through way too many pitches because his command just isn't there.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 6, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
And his WHIP was 1.4 for that, that's just not good enough. Burns through way too many pitches because his command just isn't there.

He had a nice bounce back in the minors last year. I thought there was reason for optimism. He appeared to have a decent shot a rotation spot before they signed Latos, but even then Hahn was praising Turner. You have to think when guys claimed on waivers who pitched 9 minor league innings last year, and previously had some difficulties in the major leagues, seemingly leap you, the handwriting is on the wall. I fully suspect EJ will be a throw in for some trade in short order.

He still has some potential, but I really doubt it will be with the White Sox. It seems they made their minds up long ago, and he was around in case of emergency. And he did nothing that would change their minds.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 6, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)

Yea his command sucks. It's one thing to rely on a 89-91 mph fastball. It's another to leave half of them right down the middle or to constantly fall behind.

If the Orioles thought Gonzalez still had "it," he wouldn't have been jettisoned. Especially in that division, you can't get away with 87-90 when you've previously been in the low and even mid 90's earlier in your career.

Whether he comes close to getting that fastball back, that's going to be one of the big keys. Yes, it's obvious. And we've had guys like Paulino who were throwing mid 90's without any command that got ripped to shreds easily enough. Not just about throwing hard, but command/control in and out of the zone.

If you look at the fact that they lost one of their best pitchers in Chen to the Marlins and STILL let Gonzalez walk, that's pretty telling about their confidence in him going forward.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 6, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
so the 25 man roster is at 24. Will they announce someone before tonight's game? I know replacing Johnson isnt totally necessary yet, but an extra bullpen arm for 3-5 days???

You'd sure think so. May as well call up someone on the 40 man we've optioned already this year. Ynoa?

The White Sox are in first place 4 games up on their nearest rivals. We will find a fifth starter. I think the Lincecum tryout will be interesting. Tim had hip problems last year and not arm problems if I remember right. I am sure the Sox will make an effort to sign him, if he looks ok.Whoever gets the fifth spot it will be interesting, but I see a starter being added and not another relief pitcher

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 6, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
The White Sox are in first place 4 games up on their nearest rivals. We will find a fifth starter. I think the Lincecum tryout will be interesting. Tim had hip problems last year and not arm problems if I remember right. I am sure the Sox will make an effort to sign him, if he looks ok.Whoever gets the fifth spot it will be interesting, but I see a starter being added and not another relief pitcher

Over the last 4 seasons Lincecum has been statistically worse than Danks. Not just last year, the last four years.

Yah, Lincecum is exciting in name only. I'd take a flyer if he were cheap, but someone will overpay.

I wouldn't mind cycling through options until the Sox find one that sticks (including waiver claims). Obviously not as ideal as going out and getting a legit mid/back of rotation guy, but they still have time to do that. Acquiring one of those now is going to cost more than it will in a few weeks.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 6, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Yah, Lincecum is exciting in name only. I'd take a flyer if he were cheap, but someone will overpay.

This may be one of those pitching for glory and excitement, not a paycheck.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
If the Orioles thought Gonzalez still had "it," he wouldn't have been jettisoned. Especially in that division, you can't get away with 87-90 when you've previously been in the low and even mid 90's earlier in your career.

Whether he comes close to getting that fastball back, that's going to be one of the big keys. Yes, it's obvious. And we've had guys like Paulino who were throwing mid 90's without any command that got ripped to shreds easily enough. Not just about throwing hard, but command/control in and out of the zone.

If you look at the fact that they lost one of their best pitchers in Chen to the Marlins and STILL let Gonzalez walk, that's pretty telling about their confidence in him going forward.

The same O's team we nearly got Arietta from for a bag of balls. Not a very good post.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ May 6, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
The same O's team we nearly got Arietta from for a bag of balls. Not a very good post.

By that logic, the Yankees are the dumbest franchise on earth because they traded away Contreras and let Jose Quintana go for nothing.

Sometimes, things just don't work out for highly-touted prospects in their original organization. That's the way it works in the world of sports. When they get a second chance, and find the right coaching/regimen, they take often take advantage as long as they possess the requisite amount of talent.

The Brooklyn Dodgers tried to hide Roberto Clemente in their minor league system and didn't play him for long stretches so opposing scouts wouldn't notice him...their major league outfield was full at the time. Are they idiots because the Pirates claimed him and Clemente went on to become the best RF in the game?