SoxNet: Who will be the fifth starter?

Quin

The Sox have a hole at #3 starter, not at #5. This is a common misconception brought on by those who count "1 Sale...2 Quintana...3 Rodon...4 Latos....5....OH MY G-", and that is a trick of the mind. Rodon is more like 4th (perhaps a 5th if he doesn't get his s*** together) at this early point in his career. Can Rodon develop into a 3? YES, Rodon can feasibly develop into a 1, but he's nowhere near either of those levels right now. Latos, OTOH is pitching almost like a 1 (really more like a 2), but nobody expects that to last and that he'll settle down into something more resembling at very good 4th or 5th starter. Sale and Q are both aces and the envy of the entire league. And, truth be told, most teams (even playoff contenders) would be over-the-moon to have Latos and Rodon as their 4/5.

But the Sox aren't most teams. Scoring is a bit of an issue for this offense. The Sox can bring a run home if they need one, but they are not going to go toe-to-toe with any AL contender in a slugfest and win. The Sox are not the Toronto Blue Jays. That's fine, they are made to overcome offensive shortcomings with outstanding pitching and defense and they'll continue to win at this clip as long both the pitching and defense are outstanding. The defense looks for real and I doubt it regresses much. The pitching though, eh there's some worry of those performances falling back a bit. The Sox have gotten away with not having a #3 because a #4/5 starter has pitched like a #3... when that magic runs out there will be noticeable dropoff.

Dont ask me how to fix it but unless the Sox resign themselves to the idea that Tim Anderson and (probably) Carson Fulmer will be out that door I can tell you it probably wont be fixed.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 9, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
The Sox have a hole at #3 starter, not at #5. This is a common misconception brought on by those who count "1 Sale...2 Quintana...3 Rodon...4 Latos....5....OH MY G-", and that is a trick of the mind. Rodon is more like 4th (perhaps a 5th if he doesn't get his s*** together) at this early point in his career. Can Rodon develop into a 3? YES, Rodon can feasibly develop into a 1, but he's nowhere near either of those levels right now. Latos, OTOH is pitching almost like a 1 (really more like a 2), but nobody expects that to last and that he'll settle down into something more resembling at very good 4th or 5th starter. Sale and Q are both aces and the envy of the entire league. And, truth be told, most teams (even playoff contenders) would be over-the-moon to have Latos and Rodon as their 4/5.

But the Sox aren't most teams. Scoring is a bit of an issue for this offense. The Sox can bring a run home if they need one, but they are not going to go toe-to-toe with any AL contender in a slugfest and win. The Sox are not the Toronto Blue Jays. That's fine, they are made to overcome offensive shortcomings with outstanding pitching and defense and they'll continue to win at this clip as long both the pitching and defense are outstanding. The defense looks for real and I doubt it regresses much. The pitching though, eh there's some worry of those performances falling back a bit. The Sox have gotten away with not having a #3 because a #4/5 starter has pitched like a #3... when that magic runs out there will be noticeable dropoff.

Dont ask me how to fix it but unless the Sox resign themselves to the idea that Tim Anderson and (probably) Carson Fulmer will be out that door I can tell you it probably wont be fixed.

You mention Toronto with an elite offense, but their pitching is really piss poor. The only AL club that has a great offense and at least average pitching is Texas.

You mention Toronto with an elite offense, but their pitching is really piss poor. The only AL club that has a great offense and at least average pitching is Texas.

Boston? You dont really think David Price is going to keep sucking like this (he wont, all his peripherals suggest a big correction). Wright isn't great, but he's not bad either. Porcello has bounced back after a s***ty 2015. Buchholz sucks, I know, but the Red Sox at least have an average pitching staff.

I would say the Mariners and Indians fall into that category as well, though their offenses arent on Toronto or Boston's level.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 9, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Boston? You dont really think David Price is going to keep sucking like this (he wont, all his peripherals suggest a big correction). Wright isn't great, but he's not bad either. Porcello has bounced back after a s***ty 2015. Buchholz sucks, I know, but the Red Sox at least have an average pitching staff.

I would say the Mariners and Indians fall into that category as well, though their offenses arent on Toronto or Boston's level.

Would you say Buchholz is a 3? I know some Boston fans who would tell you no, and not that politely.

First of all, Felix Hernandez is struggling to hit 90 MPH these days...he's not the main reason that SEA rotation is doing well. It's smoke and mirrors with him, and the peripherals are telling the true story.

As for the Blue Jays, it's not their offense of 2016. Tulo has been terrible and Encarnacion/Bautista are aging. It's a very good offense, but not elite.

The Rangers...WHEN Fielder is hitting, Andrus healthy, Odor, Moreland, Choo (close to coming back), Mazara (dangerous), Desmond, Beltre, that's a pretty balance and dangerous line-up maybe other than DeShields and the catcher's spot. That's not even providing Profar and Gallo a spot to play, so pretty deep. Or Josh Hamilton.

Detroit actually should be one of the best offenses in the AL with Castellanos hitting so well, but Gose has been a disappointment and JD Martinez has been struggling (relatively). Cabrera has been motoring along about the same clip as Abreu...which won't last too long for either player. Kinsler's always tough, and Victor Martinez still has life in his bat. The whole question, as always, is about their starting pitching and bullpen (recently).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 9, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)

Texas does not have good pitching. I'd even say their pitching is below average until they get Darvish back.

Toronto's actually half a run better than Texas right now in terms of ERA.

Edited by chw42