AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
That's not really ironic, lol. That's just a similar occurrence from a game that happened a long time ago and Ventura happens to be the manager.

The irony is it happened in Texas, where the Alamo is, and we thought Texas was lost, but then the "grand slam" of the us army then won a war.

The White Sox are playing at something like a 110-win pace (I haven't actually bothered to do the math, I just eyeballed it from the record). Are they going to actually win 110 games, or even 100 games... probably not, but at this time last year and the year before, we were pretty much finished already. This was literally unthinkable.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
The White Sox are playing at something like a 110-win pace (I haven't actually bothered to do the math, I just eyeballed it from the record). Are they going to actually win 110 games, or even 100 games... probably not, but at this time last year and the year before, we were pretty much finished already. This was literally unthinkable.

Right, my thoughts on this are get as many wins as possible. I align with the the posters that say things like "if we go .500 the rest of the way we will be 86 wins" or whatever we are.

I also kind of look at baseball records as a series of floors, each 10 games apart. For the last 7 years, seems like the struggle was to establish the .500 floor. We would hit it, but not by more than a game and didn't allow a cushion to regress.

Now we are establishing our new floor of 10 games over. If we continue climbing. If we hit the ASB with a new floor of 20 games over .500, I'll buy tickets to MD and we can high five.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Right, my thoughts on this are get as many wins as possible. I align with the the posters that say things like "if we go .500 the rest of the way we will be 86 wins" or whatever we are.

I also kind of look at baseball records as a series of floors, each 10 games apart. For the last 7 years, seems like the struggle was to establish the .500 floor. We would hit it, but not by more than a game and didn't allow a cushion to regress.

Now we are establishing our new floor of 10 games over. If we continue climbing. If we hit the ASB with a new floor of 20 games over .500, I'll buy tickets to MD and we can high five.

Yeah, if you think of baseball as sets of about 3 series each, that's kind of like a football season. 16 games, but played every 10-12 days instead of every 7 days.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)

Basically what the Twins did (had a 20-7 stretch and held on for most of the season until the end) and the Astros ended up doing last year...

Hopefully we're better than both those teams record-wise (won't touch the comparison with HOU until we have a better idea at the 54-60 game mark Hawk always goes by in terms of assessing teams and their playoff futures).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Basically what the Twins did (had a 20-7 stretch and held on for most of the season until the end) and the Astros ended up doing last year...

Hopefully we're better than both those teams record-wise (won't touch the comparison with HOU until we have a better idea at the 54-60 game mark Hawk always goes by in terms of assessing teams and their playoff futures).

The ray of light there is that the twins were doing that despite a really poor run differential compared to their record. Whereas the white sox are 5th at +38.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2016 -> 07:07 AM)
Ironically, a lot of people gave up on a game and left USCF nearly two decades ago against these same Texas Rangers that Robin Ventura won with a grand slam.

That is my favorite non-playoff White Sox memory. That was an incredible moment to watch live.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
That is my favorite non-playoff White Sox memory. That was an incredible moment to watch live.

One of mine too. I was actually in the hospital watching it. I had some bacteria infection that really messed me up. I would go from sweating my nut bag off to shivering constantly. My throat was so sore, I couldn't eat or drink water. I faded in and out with that game on the TV, but when Robin hit it off the Goose, I actually felt normal for about a minute. It was great.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:16 AM)
And like 4 fWAR. It would be a very "three true outcome + defense" 4 WAR year. Joe Crede style really.

A rich man's Joe Crede at that.

Being here on the East Coast, I went to bed after the top of the 10th. In the three previous years when I had to turn off the game before it ended, I went to bed expecting to see a loss when I woke up. With this year's team, I was optimistic about seeing a win and not surprised to see it. Was only surprised at the final score.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
He's a reliever who can't strike anyone out and has horrible control. How is he good?

He is off to a bad start this year, but looking at his numbers before this year doesn't show this at all. He has put up solid overall numbers and FIPs in his years here. No he isn't going to be a closer, but as a middle reliever he is perfectly fine, probably even a decent one when compared to what other teams are running out there.

Pretty cool and also scary at the same time the Sox are ahead of the Indians, Royals, and Tigers- 6, 7, and 8 games- without inflicting any of that damage themselves.

Win 9 against each of these teams and the division is ours.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
Petricka is not garbage.

He's not very good. Definitely the weakest link in the pen. His K to BB/Hit rate is bad. I hate relievers that don't strike people out though. I'd rather have him than Carroll. I don't believe he's good though.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Petricka was one of the best non-closer relief pitchers in the game until this season. He is hurt. He'll come back and be fine. *fingers crossed*

He has had a problem with his control since Spring Training. I think his injury is made up and they are working with him to clean some things up. His k-rate is actually up this year. I'm with you, yes he isn't going to strike out the side, but he gets a lot of groundballs, has a rubber arm, and is a pretty nice piece to have in your bullpen.