5/11 - White Sox @ Rangers

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
Some very strange decision-making in both of these games by the coaching staff.

And, with Latos' ERA ballooning by the start, Hahn better be on the market for at least one more serviceable veteran because you're not going to get through the rest of the season without any more problems between him, Rodon and Miguel Gonzalez.

That's for sure. I feel that this need is much more important than a LH Bat at this point.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think we'll be approaching the Astros about any of their relievers, lol...unless they're just going to give Giles away instead of fixing whatever's wrong with him.

Correa has a chance to drive in the winning run with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd but flies to Chisenhall. Top of the 11th now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 11, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
Texas brings the Sox bullpen back to earth. Fathom said it best. Sox should have swept that series and stayed red hot. Robin looks human when the players don't produce.

Let's put it this way. RV does not give us any edge over the opposition the way he manages in close games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 11, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
Texas brings the Sox bullpen back to earth. Fathom said it best. Sox should have swept that series and stayed red hot. Robin looks human when the players don't produce.

Every manager looks human when the players don't produce

How many first-guessers/second guessers were already questioning having Jennings pitch to Desmond with a base open and a lefty (Mazara) following him?

DJ was pretty shocked that they gave him anything to hit...especially on the inside part of the plate, which is where he ended up fighting off that pitch into LCF to tie the game.

And then using Jennings against Beltre? Hmmmm...

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 11, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
Call me crazy, but I don't think Cleveland is that big of a threat to the Sox, especially without Carrasco.

I agree and Detroit and KC are in the same boat. We are going to run away w the Central by All Start break.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
How many first-guessers/second guessers were already questioning having Jennings pitch to Desmond with a base open and a lefty (Mazara) following him?

DJ was pretty shocked that they gave him anything to hit...especially on the inside part of the plate, which is where he ended up fighting off that pitch into LCF to tie the game.

And then using Jennings against Beltre? Hmmmm...

I wasn't one saying they shouldn't pitch to Desmond (even though Desmond hit what would have been a ball). I don't think Latos should have started the inning (Putnam instead) and then Jennings if need be. But after he gave up back to back hits Jennings should not have faced Beltre..

Also why is Robin using Carroll in a one run game in the 8th inning with a day off tomorrow? I know it worked out but that is just bad.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 11, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
I agree and Detroit and KC are in the same boat. We are going to run away w the Central by All Start break.

How often has that happened in White Sox history?

For 4 1/2 months in 2005 and then in 2000...just doesn't happen very often, especially with all the incredible parity in the American League over the last couple of seasons.

Not sure about 1959, 1919, 1917, 1906, etc., since I wasn't alive then.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
Worth noting is that Ventura did say specifically that the pen was limited today. He didn't want to go to certain guys.

How does that make sense when we have 2 scheduled off-days in the next 5 days and are likely to lose at least one game out of three in NYC due to the weather forecast?

I guess we're playing for August/September...as Ventura learned in 2012 when that team completely wore down during the stretch run.

Someone is going to have to explain this to me. Why would Ventura try a hit and run with Sanchez (who hardly plays) AND a slow / average runner at first base?

He screws up the bullpen in a winnable game last night and he makes this strange decision this afternoon.

Guess he's back to his normal self now.

At least they didn't get swept but these last two games...all you can do is shake your head.

Since the Baltimore series the Sox aren't playing that well just 7-6.

Robin also said the pen was limited today but that doesn't make a lot of sense either since they have two off days in the next five.

On to New York and hopefully better things.

And I agree suddenly the starting rotation doesn't look so hot...Latos is now back on Earth, Rodon is struggling and the 5th starter, well if I've figured this right the Sox are 0-5-2 (no decisions) in those games that they have started. Doesn't mean the Sox haven't won any of those games just that the 5th starter did not get the decision.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
Someone is going to have to explain this to me. Why would Ventura try a hit and run with Sanchez (who hardly plays) AND a slow / average runner at first base?

He screws up the bullpen in a winnable game last night and he makes this strange decision this afternoon.

Guess he's back to his normal self now.

At least they didn't get swept but these last two games...all you can do is shake your head.

Since the Baltimore series the Sox aren't playing that well just 7-6.

Robin also said the pen was limited today but that doesn't make a lot of sense either since they have two off days in the next five.

On to New York and hopefully better things.

And I agree suddenly the starting rotation doesn't look so hot...Latos is now back on Earth, Rodon is struggling and the 5th starter, well if I've figured this right the Sox are 0-5-2 (no decisions) in those games that they have started. Doesn't mean the Sox haven't won any of those games just that the 5th starter did not get the decision.

Mark

82-80 anything better is gravy. That is your quote. The bullpen was limited last night, and he said it was today. Putnam has had shoulder issues in the past and did warm up yesterday after pitching Monday. Maybe he had an issue, may someone is sick. Sanchez makes contact he stays out of a DP. Incidentally if he didn't run and Melky did what he did, it would have been a DP anyway. Now their top bullpen guys get 3 days off, a couple get 2, they should be in good shape for the Yankees and Astros. Still in first place. Still with a nice lead.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
So after the series from hell we won't lose any ground in the division. I'll take it. Thanks Marwin!

Weird how that works out huh?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
So after the series from hell we won't lose any ground in the division. I'll take it. Thanks Marwin!

Offensively we were pretty darn good. The Pen had their first bad games all season and the bottom of the rotation was ugly.

Here's something else to consider, the Rangers have had at least NINE two out RBI's in the past two games.

They had five of them in that horrific 8th inning yesterday and they got four more of them today.

NINE at least.

That's brutal.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:28 PM)
Here's something else to consider, the Rangers have had at least NINE two out RBI's in the past two games.

They had five of them in that horrific 8th inning yesterday and they got four more of them today.

NINE at least.

That's brutal.

Mark

2 out RBI are pretty common.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
2 out RBI are pretty common.

I agree, would it have been preferable if the Rangers scored all those runs with one out? Why is that better? Runs are runs.

Edited by OmarComing25