STOP LAZY JOURNALISM!

southsider2k5

As a White Sox fan I would like to request a media moratorium on one specific thing. Can we quit asking White Sox players questions about the Cubs. For example, last night in the midst of the post game interviews where Chris Sale became the first White Sox pitcher to go 9-0 in his first 9 starts since Eddie Cicotte in 1919, someone asked him about Jake Arrieta. Why? Why not ask him about Chris Sale? Or someone in the American League?

It is lazy journalism on behalf of the sports journalists in Chicago for their White Sox related questioning to keep coming back to the Cubs. Stop it. It is insulting and irrelevant. Especially when the White Sox have nothing to do with the Cubs. They aren't in the same division or league, and they aren't playing each other. It is my direct challenge to the sports writers and broadcasters of Chicago to step up their game and actually come up with some relevant questions for Chicago White Sox staff and players.

I totally hear ya but to be fair they may just be feeding the appetite for that discussion. I hate that its the case but you hear people comparing the two at work, grocery store, barbershop etc. so the media is going to naturally feed into that.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 20, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
I totally hear ya but to be fair they may just be feeding the appetite for that discussion. I hate that its the case but you hear people comparing the two at work, grocery store, barbershop etc. so the media is going to naturally feed into that.

Sure. But they aren't being paid to cover the White Sox. The people whose job it is to cover this team, should be covering this team. Ask him about Eddie Cicotte. Ask him about Brandon Webb who was the last person to achieve this. Why ask him about Jake Arrieta? He isn't 9-0 in 9 starts. He isn't on a team involved in the White Sox playoff pursuit. It is lazy.

I agree. Today's media is just so lazy that most of it can't be considered journalism.

That being said, can we start by admitting pitching wins are meaningless (because they are)? Chris Sale is having an amazing year, but pitching wins still don't matter.

Instead of wins, we should focus on better metrics. See Win Probability Added.

mbVNufL.png

Edited by Deadpool

It's not lazy journalism at all. They are doing their job, they are appealing to their audience. This is a White Sox message board, yet look how many posts relate to the Cubs.

Like it or not, the "rivalry " still is a big part of Chicago baseball and a big part of White Sox baseball. Fans wear Cubs Suck shirts to every game no matter the opponent. Some fans care more if the Cubs lost than if the Indians or Royals did. You can't expect the media to change until the fans do.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 20, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
It's not lazy journalism at all. They are doing their job, they are appealing to their audience. This is a White Sox message board, yet look how many posts relate to the Cubs.

Like it or not, the "rivalry " still is a big part of Chicago baseball and a big part of White Sox baseball. Fans wear Cubs Suck shirts to every game no matter the opponent. Some fans care more if the Cubs lost than if the Indians or Royals did. You can't expect the media to change until the fans do.

It is lazy journalism, because the same members of the media will be the first to mock Sox fans for caring more about the Cubs than their own team after doing the same thing by asking these irrelevant questions.

Totally agree. Two years ago as Abreu was tearing up the league his first year, he basically could not be acknowledged by our media without including Anthony Rizzo in the discussion.

What bothers me is Jake Arrieta is allowed to exist as great without being compared to Sale. but Sale apparently must be only understood in how he rates to a cubs pitcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
As a White Sox fan I would like to request a media moratorium on one specific thing. Can we quit asking White Sox players questions about the Cubs. For example, last night in the midst of the post game interviews where Chris Sale became the first White Sox pitcher to go 9-0 in his first 9 starts since Eddie Cicotte in 1919, someone asked him about Jake Arrieta. Why? Why not ask him about Chris Sale? Or someone in the American League?

It is lazy journalism on behalf of the sports journalists in Chicago for their White Sox related questioning to keep coming back to the Cubs. Stop it. It is insulting and irrelevant. Especially when the White Sox have nothing to do with the Cubs. They aren't in the same division or league, and they aren't playing each other. It is my direct challenge to the sports writers and broadcasters of Chicago to step up their game and actually come up with some relevant questions for Chicago White Sox staff and players.

This actually bothered me last night as well. I'm not someone that harps on the media too much especially the whole "THE MEDIA LOVES THE CUBS SO MUCH" group but there was just no reason to ask Sale some of these questions last night. Unfortunately someone on my twitter timeline retweeted a Levine quote, so I checked out his account and everything from his Sox post game wrap up was the Sale-Arrieta stuff and how the Sale vs. Cubs game which is 2 months away is going to be fantastic. Just dumb.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
It is lazy journalism, because the same members of the media will be the first to mock Sox fans for caring more about the Cubs than their own team after doing the same thing by asking these irrelevant questions.

The mocking Sox fans is definitely lazy journalism. The focusing on Cubs success is somewhat borderline, IMHO. Cubs stories get eyes.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 20, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
This actually bothered me last night as well. I'm not someone that harps on the media too much especially the whole "THE MEDIA LOVES THE CUBS SO MUCH" group but there was just no reason to ask Sale some of these questions last night. Unfortunately someone on my twitter timeline retweeted a Levine quote, so I checked out his account and everything from his Sox post game wrap up was the Sale-Arrieta stuff and how the Sale vs. Cubs game which is 2 months away is going to be fantastic. Just dumb.

In Reality, Arrieta should be asked about Quintana after every good game.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 20, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)

I don't mind Cubs fans being excited, and there being lots of stories about the Cubs. I mind when stories about the White Sox get turned into stories about the Cubs when the Cubs don't matter at all.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
In Reality, Arrieta should be asked about Quintana after every good game.

In reality, everyone in baseball whether pitcher, hitter, manager, mascot should be asked about Quintana every day of their lives.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Totally agree. Two years ago as Abreu was tearing up the league his first year, he basically could not be acknowledged by our media without including Anthony Rizzo in the discussion.

What bothers me is Jake Arrieta is allowed to exist as great without being compared to Sale. but Sale apparently must be only understood in how he rates to a cubs pitcher.

I have yet to see Joe Maddon asked about the White Sox, nor have I seen Jake Arrieta asked about Chris Sale. Even if this were going on, it would legitimize this a little bit more in my eyes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
I have yet to see Joe Maddon asked about the White Sox, nor have I seen Jake Arrieta asked about Chris Sale. Even if this were going on, it would legitimize this a little bit more in my eyes.

It'd be dumb to ask Arrieta those questions too. They literally have nothing to do with each other right now. If this was 2 months from now and these teams were about to match up then sure, ask away. Right now, it's just stupid.

That definitely has to do with the fact that "tradition" (for lack of a better word to describe weak journalism tradition) says that the Sox are supposed to care more about the Cubs than vice-versa. I wouldn't expect either team to care at all about each other. They're different divisions and most of them aren't from the area.

Part of it's a factor of the Cubs being so far out ahead of their division that they have to develop other "talking points" that are peripherally related to the Cubs...because the appetite for "feeding that beast" is so much more intense, to the extent that some Cubs' fans are arguing they could carry their own network like YES in NY with Cubs-only content. Didn't someone mention they didn't even have a beat writer for the Sox with ESPN Chicago...or maybe it was they were using pool reporting for away games with the Sun Times or Tribune, I can't remember 100% now.

I guess it's better than asking him over and over again if Chris feels "insulted" to be pitching in front of a half-empty ballpark for a first-place team.

And, let's be honest. The majority of sports fans outside the Sox die-hards/Harrelson don't know Eddie Cicotte, Eddie Lopat or even Brandon Webb. It's all about TODAY for young people especially, anything that happened "a long time ago" just isn't that interesting. Baseball's history is what differentiates it from other sports, but it's something that is less and less important in the narcissistic "selfie/look at me/social media" age.

And then you have Sale himself, colorful and always a great quote, super competitive and at times controversial, but he has a quiet/peaceful family life, nothing like the yoga stuff and Karaoke and fashion and fine wines and wearing pajamas and all that self-promoting nonsense that goes on with the Cubs.

Edited by caulfield12

Then look harder.

Cubs' Joe Maddon 'digging' success of crosstown rival White Sox

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...427-column.html

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)

Just a few weeks ago the Tribune had a story quoting Maddon talking about the White Sox success and how "cool" it was.

Mark

QUOTE (soxfan18 @ May 20, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
Then look harder.

Cubs' Joe Maddon 'digging' success of crosstown rival White Sox

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...427-column.html

As a White Sox fan living on the east coast, the poster had me going with his rant. Then I find out he didn't do any homework. I recommend the poster be sent to the Charlotte Knights Message Board to work on some of his posting.

http://www.topix.com/forum/minor-league-ba...arlotte-knights

In all fairness, the questions that went to Maddon were driven by the national baseball writers pushing that early storyline of a possible Cubs/Sox World Series, both teams with the best records in baseball, top of the power rankings, first time both were in first place in May in a decade...

The follow-up stories were reactions to the national interest, trickling down to its regional/local narrative.

Edited by caulfield12