Some Sox players anti-Backman

Mr. Showtime

Maybe because the country club atmosphere Manuel has made it would be gone? :huh:

(Daily Southtown)One of those mentioned as a possible replacement for Manuel was Double-A Birmingham manager Wally Backman. A poll of Sox players found few Backman fans.

"There'll be a (bleep) mutiny in here if Wally Backman is brought in," one player said.

Backman didn't do himself any favors in the middle of the season, saying he'd like the Sox job, if the opportunity presented itself.

That didn't sit well with some Sox players and staff members.

"A self-serving guy like that is the last thing you want around," one player said. "The first time he tried getting in someone's face, he'd have (trouble)."

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hotsoxchick1
Maybe because the country club atmosphere Manuel has made it would be gone?  :huh:

(Daily Southtown)One of those mentioned as a possible replacement for Manuel was Double-A Birmingham manager Wally Backman. A poll of Sox players found few Backman fans.

"There'll be a (bleep) mutiny in here if Wally Backman is brought in," one player said.

Backman didn't do himself any favors in the middle of the season, saying he'd like the Sox job, if the opportunity presented itself.

"A self-serving guy like that is the last thing you want around," one player said. "The first time he tried getting in someone's face, he'd have (trouble)."

makes ya wonder who said what... most of the guys there have already played for backman in the minors......i think he would be a great manager and the breath of fresh air that this team needs to get motivated....he would definately kick some of their collective overpaid asses thats for sure........ :headbang wally.. bring him up......

After watching these guys sleepwalk through 3 of the biggest games most of them have played in their lives, a change is needed. The player who had that comment is a pussy, someone who is used to getting away with little effort. If you do your job, play hard and play smart, Backman will have no reason to get into your face. He certainly wouldn't stand for the continuing clueless brand of baseball that is now being played, and has become JM managed team's trademark. A White Sox player actually calling someone self serving, that is priceless.

Maybe because the country club atmosphere Manuel has made it would be gone?  :huh:

makes ya wonder who said what... most of the guys there have already played for backman in the minors......i think he would be a great manager and the breath of fresh air that this team needs to get motivated....he would definately kick some of their collective overpaid asses thats for sure........ :headbang wally.. bring him up......

And maybe some of those pussies need someone in their face once in a while. f*** their "mutiny". If they dont like it, get the f*** outta town...... :fyou

Wally opened his mouth. Showed balls. That right there sealed his fate. He won't be in Chicago anytime soon unless it's for Christmas shopping.

Funny thing is, right now the only guys I want back are Buerhle, Loiaza, Garland, Colon, Marte, Crede, Graffy, Lee (can't beleive I said that,) Olivo and Everett. The rest of the team shoudl be traded for hitteres that can hit and not swing for the fences. I am tired of the Ordonez and Thomas hot streaks, Konerko's s*** slumps, valentin's clueless appraoch at the plate. When the bell rung, they ran and hid. If they don't Backman becasue he is in your face, sorry you all f***ing choked, f***'em all.

The funny thing is, what is he supposed to say? Of course he wants to manage in the major leagues. He said if the opportunity presented itself, to me there's nothing wrong with it. I hope management doesn't let the inmates run the asylum.

And the player who said that crap? Id bet you even money its FRANK "whiny b****" Thomas....

Funny thing is, right now the only guys I want back are Buerhle, Loiaza, Garland, Colon, Marte, Crede, Graffy, Lee (can't beleive I said that,) Olivo and Everett.  The rest of the team shoudl be traded for hitteres that can hit and not swing for the fences.  I am tired of the Ordonez and Thomas hot streaks, Konerko's s*** slumps, valentin's clueless appraoch at the plate.  When the bell rung, they ran and hid.  If they don't Backman becasue he is in your face, sorry you all f***ing choked, f***'em all.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I pretty much agree with you word for word. This team definitely needs a "heart" transplant.

My gut feeling is that after watching the last three games -- never mind the last three seasons -- that JR won't give a crap if the players are offended by a manager who gets in their face.

In fact, he might enjoy it.

The Number One priority should be getting rid of Frank. He's the guy who has been around the longest and should have provided the leadership. But he's not a leader. Never has been. Never will be. And his performance this month has been dreadful. Turn the team over to some of the younger guys. And without Frank, you've got the flexibility of using a number of guys at DH, finding a live left-handed bat and breaking up the log-jam of station to station runners in the middle of the lineup.

Number Two should be solidifying the pitching staff. They can still contend next season with this staff. Hell, they stayed in the race this year without any offense for 10 weeks. I can't see JR spending the money on Colon, when he wouldn't do it on McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and others who got big money elsewhere and developed arm trouble. But with Loaiza, Buehrle and Garland, you at least have a bit of a foundation.

Number three is a couple of guys who can handle the bat and run -- at shortstop and the outfield. Guys who control the strike zone, can take a walk, move runners up and run the bases intelligently.

There are other things that can be done. But that's a start.

Wally opened his mouth. Showed balls. That right there sealed his fate. He won't be in Chicago anytime soon unless it's for Christmas shopping.

Actually, Wally is in Chicago now or will be up there soon, but that is beside the point.

I would like to see the article(s) where he was quoted. As was previously mentioned, if he was asked, I have no problem with saying he would like the job if the opportunity presented itself.

Lastly, Wally is not an in your face kind-of-manager. The bottom line is that time cures a lot of things and the offseason, along with all of the moves that are made, will mean players will get over what they are feeling now. Those comments could be considered to made by a frustrated player wanting to protect his manager. I would get a little defensive too if I was asked who was going to replace my boss, when he still is in fact the boss.

Prediction time: Wally will not be the Sox next manager, but probably should be. If KW is the GM, I don't see it happening. If someone new is brought in to be the GM, then he will likely want his own guy. It's possible, but not likely.

Rex, agreed 100%.

If there are moves in the front office, all bets are off.

At this point, I'd find it inconceivable that Manuel would be back, but sometimes the actions of White Sox management are baffling.

I'm having a difficult time believing the Sox would fork over the money for a high-profile manager like Leyland.

The track record under JR has been to usually go cheap -- Manuel, Bevington, Lamont, Torborg.

Fregosi was a bit more high-profile, but even he wasn't that expensive.

Maybe he'll change his mind if he sees Baker take the Cubs into the World Series.

But the dude don't open the wallet for managers or long-term contracts for pitchers.

I'm having a difficult time believing the Sox would fork over the money for a high-profile manager like Leyland.

The track record under JR has been to usually go cheap -- Manuel, Bevington, Lamont, Torborg.

Fregosi was a bit more high-profile, but even he wasn't that expensive.

Maybe he'll change his mind if he sees Baker take the Cubs into the World Series.

But the dude don't open the wallet for managers or long-term contracts for pitchers.

He needs to open his wallet for Buehrle or else he is going alienate a lot of fans and I'm going to be one of them.

The fact that one Sox player was quoted as such about Backman puts Backman high up on my list of "cheap" managerial candidates. Whoever said this is probably the same type of guy that plays Playstation 2 in the clubhouse during BP and watches NFL games in September during a series that was a must win.

Any White Sox player that would say this, I don't care who it is..... especially after White Sox fans were subjected to CorpseBall the last 3 games..... should be shipped the f*** out along with Manuel.