Some Sox players anti-Backman

Mr. Showtime

Guest hotsoxchick1

HSC, I think this time Sox fans deserve better than Backman or Bell.  Thats all

why is Bell a factor in this conversation? He was never our manager.

As for Backman, I very much disagree with you.

Cw, the reason I say Bell is because I am reading Bell and Backman are top 2 to replace JM.

well im thinkin backman gets the job.... hes the right fit for it... and believe me theres changes coming .....he will be perfect........i am a bit curious to know why you dont like him so much though.. just wondering......

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cw, the reason I say Bell is because I am reading Bell and Backman are top 2 to replace JM.

I have never heard the name of Bell mentioned as a candidate except by you today

where have you heard that elsewhere?

Bell would be, IMHO, a bad choice

I watched him manage in Detroit and I was not impressed at all in any way even though I thought originally he'd make a good manager - but his actual managing showed that is not the case, as I saw it

I have never heard the name of Bell mentioned as a candidate except by you today

I watched him manage in Detroit and I was not impressed at all in any way even though I thought originally he'd make a good manager - but his actual managing showed that is not the case, as I saw it

There was a report in one of the papers. He used to work in the White Sox minor leagues, and evidently JR is a big fan. I think Backman would come cheaper, and would be better.

I think Backman would be excellent for the job. I just don't see him getting it if KW is in charge. It's just a feeling I get, but I think they would mix like oil and water.

I also think there are some misconceptions here. Backman is not a fiery, in-your-face kind of guy, but he is no pacifist either. He is fiery as a competitor and expects his players to play hard, but almost every player I have ever talked to liked playing for him a lot. They thought he was fair and the moves he made were very well respected.

I think Backman will be a very good Big League manager, very soon. Just not sure it will be with the Sox.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I think Backman would be excellent for the job.  I just don't see him getting it if KW is in charge.  It's just a feeling I get, but I think they would mix like oil and water.

I also think there are some misconceptions here.  Backman is not a fiery, in-your-face kind of guy, but he is no pacifist either.  He is fiery as a competitor and expects his players to play hard, but almost every player I have ever talked to liked playing for him a lot.  They thought he was fair and the moves he made were very well respected. 

I think Backman will be a very good Big League manager, very soon.  Just not sure it will be with the Sox.

im still wondering who said such things about him... knowing half the guys on the current team have played with him at one point or another.....i have never heard of any saying bad about him........hes no lou in your face but i think hes just what this bunch of assclowns need to get motivated... hell at least they will learn how to lay down a bunt and play some get em over ball for a change.........we need that drastically........i hope he lands a job here........

Guest hotsoxchick1
Backman won't mix well if this is a veteran team next year.

im still tryin to understand your dislike for the guy..please enlighten me ok.. i want your honest opinion for my curiousity sake ( no slam just honest curiousity)......and i dont forsee alot of vets remaining on staff for 2004.......mho

He was the rumored replacement at the AS break when everyone thought JM would be fired.

They are used to the sleep all the time type of manager that JM is. So just to think that they (players) would have a manager that would get on their asses, they didnt like it.

We need new players, young that would play for the team and not these mofo that just think about HRs.

im still tryin to understand your dislike for the guy..please enlighten me ok.. i want your honest opinion for my curiousity sake ( no slam just honest curiousity)......and i dont forsee alot of vets remaining on staff for 2004.......mho

I have read where he is not much of a people person, and not very good at decision making to keep it short. If all they can do is hire WB then keep Manuel , there is no difference both are s***ty.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I have read where he is not much of a people person, and not very good at decision making to keep it short. If all they can do is hire WB then keep Manuel , there is no difference both are s***ty.

hmm havent heard that about him.......honestly.. and as for decision making he couldnt be any more worse than jm.....id be willing to give wally a good chance to prove that wrong........

Wally would be a great choice, IMO, even if this is a veteran team next year. He would set the right mentality for the players, and we'd see some major moves too. If players didn't play hard, they wouldn't play at all. That would work for me.

The fact that Backman took the Barons to the playoffs this year(I think he did, didn't he), with as little offense as they had, that's incredible. I think he would light a fire under this team's ass and make them want to play....and had he managed the team this year, the Sox would have already clinched.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Wally would be a great choice, IMO, even if this is a veteran team next year.  He would set the right mentality for the players, and we'd see some major moves too.  If players didn't play hard, they wouldn't play at all.  That would work for me. 

The fact that Backman took the Barons to the playoffs this year(I think he did, didn't he), with as little offense as they had, that's incredible.  I think he would light a fire under this team's ass and make them want to play....and had he managed the team this year, the Sox would have already clinched.

he took them to a championship last year too......

Guest hotsoxchick1
IAN WTF.... wheres the rest of that article or a linky so i could find out who said what........damnit......... :D i dont want to see rafa and josh here shed blood over it...... ;) :D

Wally would be a great choice, IMO, even if this is a veteran team next year.  He would set the right mentality for the players, and we'd see some major moves too.  If players didn't play hard, they wouldn't play at all.  That would work for me. 

The fact that Backman took the Barons to the playoffs this year(I think he did, didn't he), with as little offense as they had, that's incredible.  I think he would light a fire under this team's ass and make them want to play....and had he managed the team this year, the Sox would have already clinched.

Yeah, I knew that....but he had a little offense last year too. I know he had Olivo, who had an incredibly good year, and Miles, who hit like .330.....and I'm probably forgetting so many others that I'm making an ass of myself.

So who were the others last year, do you remember?

Guest hotsoxchick1

Yeah, I knew that....but he had a little offense last year too. I know he had Olivo, who had an incredibly good year, and Miles, who hit like .330.....and I'm probably forgetting so many others that I'm making an ass of myself.

So who were the others last year, do you remember?

hmm i think there was battersby,bravo,dallero,durham chad not ray lol, hankins,ingram,olivo, miles,sandoval , saunders,malone,lantiagua, purvis,diaz,valentine,ulacia, stewert, west.. thats all the ones i can remember off the top of my head... the others i would have to look up to know for sure though....

not sure if any of you guys remember this, but a few months back, I heard Tony Graffanino was on TV and was asked about the Sox getting a new manager, most notably a guy like Bobby Valentine (who was rumored to replace Manuel at the time). Anyway, Graffanino, I'm not sure what exactly he said, but he said something along the lines that Valentine wouldn't be good for this team as he is too loud and in-your-face for this team.

I personally don't think Graffanino personally wouldn't like an in-your-face manager (what manager can't like Graffanino?), but he was talking about the team in general, which is what I think this player is doing, talking about the team and how the team would react, not really himself.

Guest hotsoxchick1
not sure if any of you guys remember this, but a few months back, I heard Tony Graffanino was on TV and was asked about the Sox getting a new manager, most notably a guy like Bobby Valentine (who was rumored to replace Manuel at the time).  Anyway, Graffanino, I'm not sure what exactly he said, but he said something along the lines that Valentine wouldn't be good for this team as he is too loud and in-your-face for this team.

I personally don't think Graffanino personally wouldn't like an in-your-face manager (what manager can't like Graffanino?), but he was talking about the team in general, which is what I think this player is doing, talking about the team and how the team would react, not really himself.

but wallys not an in your face type of guy.........unless you dont work hard... then hes a get out of my face type lol........

I'm not saying Backman is, I'm just responding to the original post, which going by the quotes, made it seem as though Backman was.

I personally don't like "in-your-face" managers. I think good managers have to have a mix of patience and intensity, and demand both respect and hustle from their players.