Some Sox players anti-Backman

Mr. Showtime

IAN WTF.... wheres the rest of that article or a linky so i could find out who said what........damnit......... :D i dont want to see rafa and josh here shed blood over it...... ;)  :D

HSC, Here's the "linky", but the original thread quote pretty much included everything about Backman...

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/191sd3.htm

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't anyone take this the wrong way, but Selig and MLB will expect the Sox to look at minorities in their hiring decision for a manager, if in fact Jerry Manuel is gone. Who might be out there with either experience as a manager or as a big league coach? Willie Randolph maybe. How about Hank Aaron? Let's think big and wild here. I personally like Jim Leyland though. The issue remains though and that's will Reinsdorf drop Manuel. It might not happen, but the onus might be put on the players and a shake up done there. Kenny Williams would love being able to do a lot of wheeling and dealing I bet with and for established players.

Nothing against Wally backman in my mind, it's just that a AA manager with limited experience at the big league coaching level isn't really our way of doing things. Then again our way of doing things hasn't worked well has it?

I'm not saying Backman is, I'm just responding to the original post, which going by the quotes, made it seem as though Backman was.

I personally don't like "in-your-face" managers.  I think good managers have to have a mix of patience and intensity, and demand both respect and hustle from their players.

In your face managers get old. After two or three years (At best ) you start seeing them go down hill. The only one I can think of thats been sucessful over the long haul recently is Sweet Lou and I have to think he isn't as in your face as people think.

Plain and simple you can't always go off, cause if you do, going off is going to get to a point where its meaningless and people quit.

The thing I'd worry most about Backman is how well he could do his thing at the major league level where pitchers are much more aware of baserunners and catchers are much better. I think that would be the biggest adjustment to suceeding at the show.

Other then that, if you try and play hard Backman will get along with you alright. No, he isn't going to accept stupid plays, but he isn't gonna go nuts on you for them. I'm guessing he's gonna preach it and work with you on it.

As far as the comment, Lee would be a good guess cause he really likes Jerry from what I can tell. JM has really helped Lee grow as a player and I think he was soley defending him. Thats if it were lee. I don't want to really speculate about it though.

Whoever it is, if they end up causing crap, then screw him. He isn't the type of player you want and anyone else that feels that way...get the hell out. This is a TEAM and from what I can tell from what I've heard and read, Backman is a team type of manager. Everyone together is better then everyone as individuals trying to create stats (Which is basically what the Sox were this year).

I have read where he is not much of a people person, and not very good at decision making to keep it short. If all they can do is hire WB then keep Manuel , there is no difference both are s***ty.

I can attest to the fact that what you read is indeed the exact opposite of what Wally Backman is like.

Don't believe everything you read.....

I talked to Royce Ring at a minor league game after he was dealt to the Mets and he couldn't say enough good things about Backman. Said he was easy to play for as long as you played hard. Said the players respected him and played hard for him. Said the guy went to bat for his players hard on the field.

I know there is a big difference between managing in the Southern League and the American League.

But think about it ... Wally Backman is not some career minor leaguer who would come to the big leagues trying to show he's a tough guy. The guy played in the major leagues for 14 seasons. He was still in the bigs 10 years ago so he's not out of touch. He played in New York City for a long time, so he's been exposed to lots of media stuff.

I'm not saying he's the guy. But he deserves a look.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Michelle, I am a bit confused as to who on the Sox has played for Wally...

Olivo and Miles are the only ones I can see that did for sure.  Josh Stewart and Dave Sanders, but he is not with the big club now.

well i was tellin him to go look... not sayin for sure that theres many others ... just sayin is all.....maybe that didnt come out right on here as it would have when i say it to ya face to face???? the question was asked who and i said take a look back to winston salem when he joined here and trace it to whos up here now... meaning i didnt have the time to look so he should do it for himself lol... not meaning i knew who it was actually........get me???? :huh: ;)

i do however thank you rex for your input on wally..... i like him alot.. never heard anything bad about him as matter of fact...... so i dont understand why some dont like the idea of him coming here..... :huh:

Guest hotsoxchick1
HSC, Rex, If Backman is hired and it does not work at all remember I am on record as being very anti-WB. :angry:

noted.....no problem.... like i said give it a try .. hell it cant hurt us anymore than were already hurting right?????

Guest hotsoxchick1
Someone mentioned Leyland as a possible managerial candidate.  His last year of managing was in Denver, and he was awful, and he knew it, which is probably why he left on his own with $15 on the table.  Now he is four years older.  Can't see it.

not only cant see it.. but dont wanna see it.. if we were gonna stick with mediocre we would be happy to keep jm.........dont ya think????

Guest hotsoxchick1
I have a job0rz.

yeah what ever so do the rest of us but we dont put something up and leave everyone hangin half the day...lol. its ok you can thank flajimmy .he bailed ya out on this one........ :lol:

yeah what ever so do the rest of us but we dont put something up and leave everyone hangin half the day...lol. its ok you can thank flajimmy .he bailed  ya out on this one........ :lol:

I see Jimmy helped me out.

Meh, I don't have computer access at work like some people. :P

Guest hotsoxchick1
heh, I guess not.

jump on aim if you can Michelle.

im on .......and yea sucks to be you at work huh.. i have computer access... how do ya think i spend half my days....... ;)

i do however thank you rex for your input on wally..... i like him alot.. never heard anything bad about him as matter of fact...... so i dont understand why some dont like the idea of him coming here..... 

It's easy....... he is unknown to them and at the Major League level.... If a guy isn't a "name" then he can't be good! You should know that Michelle. ;)

The last thing I will say about Wally is that he got more wins out the Barons the last two years than I ever would have imagined. The talent level just wasn't that good, but he gets his teams to play as just that, a TEAM. The fact that the Barons made the playoffs this year still boggles my mind. The sad thing is, that by end of the season, I thought they would win it all. They went from being very average to being very good. Unfortuantely, they tightened up at the plate in the playoffs against a good team.