White Sox draft picture getting clearer - reports on Blake Rutherford

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 23, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
I'll be disappointed. A high school position player just seems like such a gamble, as well as a long wait for any contribution.

I really want Collins.

He's 19 from a College Prep school though and would most likely be the best player on the boards if they land him. Would be an excellent choice in my opinion.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
He's 19 from a College Prep school though and would most likely be the best player on the boards if they land him. Would be an excellent choice in my opinion.

I guess we have to trust the scouts. However, we all know the arguments against a Prep position player:

1) They haven't had an opportunity to ever demonstrate their ability to hit high quality pitching.

2) They require a long time to develop.

3) They aren't even physically mature, so it's difficult to know what they will look like, once they mature.

Regarding "best player". The rankings are very close between Collins and Rutherford. Therefore, I assume that there is not a clear "better player".

I'd rather have a guy who could contribute in a year or two, rather than 5 years.

This is so intriguing to me:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/5/10/1...f-miami-florida

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 23, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
I guess we have to trust the scouts. However, we all know the arguments against a Prep position player:

1) They haven't had an opportunity to ever demonstrate their ability to hit high quality pitching.

3) They aren't even physically mature, so it's difficult to know what they will look like, once they mature.

Regarding "best player". The rankings are very close between Collins and Rutherford. Therefore, I assume that there is not a clear "better player".

I'd rather have a guy who could contribute in a year or two, rather than 5 years.

Rutherford can hit, run, and play defense. Collins can hit and has high OBP skills and probably no defensive position.

Scouting report from fangraphs

Hit: 60*

Raw Power: 50/60

Game Power: 60*

Run: 60/55

Field: 45/55

Throw: 50/55

FV: 60

With a combination of skills and athleticism that recalls Grady Sizemore, he has the potential to hit his way into the middle of a major-league order and make multiple All-Star teams.

SHOCKED that Lillian doesn't love the kid.

I get what lillian is saying, but I'd hate us to pass up impact talent just because we previously did not have success developing it.

These guys ahve been at it for a few years. I think you can also just get better at your job through experience.

Hostetler's the one calling the shots now, in conjunction with Hahn, yes?

You pretty much have to give every new scouting director that same benefit of the doubt, otherwise, why hire them?

That Braves system/approach (started in KC with Schuerholz, then moved to Atl) has had a ton of success with high school/prep kids.

That said, as White Sox fans, we're trained to expect collegiate pitching with more immediate payoffs...trying to plug gaps in the big league roster as quickly as possible, rather than taking the patient, long-term developmental approach.

Who's the Daz Cameron in this draft who started out as a consensus Top 5-7 pick and could end up anywhere from late first round to the end of the 2nd? Taking that "prep upside" guy at 26 would be another approach if we can make the draft pool work in our favor.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 23, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)

No catcher reaches the majors in "a year or two". He'd be 3 or more years away, unless he changes position, which damages his value.

Rutherford is struggling from prospect fatigue. He's been talked about for a couple years now since his sophomore year and he's done nothing to lose his rank as one of the best players in the class.

While I personally think Moniak is the better of the two prep outfielders from California, I'd be very pleased if the Sox make this pick.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 23, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
I get what lillian is saying, but I'd hate us to pass up impact talent just because we previously did not have success developing it.

These guys ahve been at it for a few years. I think you can also just get better at your job through experience.

You take the best player no matter what.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2016 -> 06:54 PM)

19 seems a little older for HS. I wonder if the physical maturity gives him an advantage over typical HS players?

Toolsy outfielders are to KW what rakes are to Sideshow Bob. Can't avoid them, can't stop getting smacked in the face with 'em.

Just once, just one freaking time would I like the Sox to spend a premium draft pick on a refined college hitter with an advanced hitting approach. I don't care what position--I've been beating the Collins drum hard the last month but he's not the only one--Nick Senzel would fit the bill for instance.

But no, KW will keep trying to achieve some kind of vicarious playing career success through outfielders who look like they should be all-stars but in actuality don't have the plate discipline or eye to hit major league pitching. I have no idea if Rutherford falls into that category--he could be the 2nd coming of Ted Williams for all I know--but the lack of importance the Sox seem to place on plate discipline (which really boils down to having the physical ability to recognize pitch type, speed and location combined with walking up to the plate with, you know, an actual plan in mind) is stunning. Especially when that describes exactly Robin, Buddy Bell and Frank, the best hitter the organization ever produced-all key figures within the organization.

If the Sox pick Collins, Senzel etc. I will gladly eat this post.

That is a terrific post, "Dizzy Sox". I never thought about the tendency of the Sox to select "toolsy" outfielders, as a K.W. obsession. You may be on to something.

In any case, you express my sentiments exactly. Thank you.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 23, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
That is a terrific post, "Dizzy Sox". I never thought about the tendency of the Sox to select "toolsie" outfielders, as a K.W. obsession. You may be on to something.

In any case, you express my sentiments exactly. Thank you.

Just say NO to Collins. He is a Florida born kid who played little league,high school and college in Florida. He has never played a season in a cold climate. He will wilt his first April in Chicago. He is better off playing for a team south of the Mason Dixon. Draft a cold-weather player. Any Canadians in the draft??

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 23, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Just say NO to Collins. He is a Florida born kid who played little league,high school and college in Florida. He has never played a season in a cold climate. He will wilt his first April in Chicago. He is better off playing for a team south of the Mason Dixon. Draft a cold-weather player. Any Canadians in the draft??

Using this logic we should have never drafted Sale.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ May 23, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
Toolsy outfielders are to KW what rakes are to Sideshow Bob. Can't avoid them, can't stop getting smacked in the face with 'em.

Just once, just one freaking time would I like the Sox to spend a premium draft pick on a refined college hitter with an advanced hitting approach. I don't care what position--I've been beating the Collins drum hard the last month but he's not the only one--Nick Senzel would fit the bill for instance.

But no, KW will keep trying to achieve some kind of vicarious playing career success through outfielders who look like they should be all-stars but in actuality don't have the plate discipline or eye to hit major league pitching. I have no idea if Rutherford falls into that category--he could be the 2nd coming of Ted Williams for all I know--but the lack of importance the Sox seem to place on plate discipline (which really boils down to having the physical ability to recognize pitch type, speed and location combined with walking up to the plate with, you know, an actual plan in mind) is stunning. Especially when that describes exactly Robin, Buddy Bell and Frank, the best hitter the organization ever produced-all key figures within the organization.

Someone obviously hasn't done their research on Rutherford

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 23, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)

Ah yes, I remember how the Chicago cold ruined that southern-born and reared kid we drafted in the 1st round in '89...Frank something or another. And more recently that washout 1st baseman from Cuba who had never been north of Havana prior to his 1st big league season in Chicago.

Or Ventura, from Southern California and Oklahoma State, Alex Fernandez from Miami, Gio Gonzalez from Miami, Jack McDowell from California, Magglio/CLee/Wilson Alvarez/Roberto Hernandez from Latin America, Ray Durham from North Carolina, Paul Konerko from Scottsdale, etc.

When you think about it, almost 85% of the players these days are going to be from "warm weather" states or Latin American countries.

If only we had Cliff Floyd, Jim Thome (in his prime), Curtis Granderson, Kirby Puckett and Jason Kipnis, we would have won 2-3 more World Series trophies.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ May 23, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)

This was the funniest thing I've ever read on these message boards, legit laughing out loud. Well done