Jose Valentin

Dick Allen

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only possible good news in this scenario is that they're going to "go fo it" again next year, i.e. not totally gut the team.

I don't agree with bringing Jose back, but if they do, the message is clear ... they still believe in this team and its core players.

Jose adds a lot to the table, but he just hasn't gotten it done this year with the bat, especially in the clutch. This team does not need a swing-for-the-fences shortstop, it needs a high OBP guy who brings the same level of leadership. Granted, Valentin's defence improved markedly this year, but is it too much to ask to have a SS with above average defence and above average offence??

I firmly believe they will go for it next year with the weak division and the fact that the twinkies will be weaker not able to sign their folks

I do not mind Valentin at 5-6 mill for 2 years.....think about it, who else can we get from the market without going too old or too young with a prospect (which we do not have at SS)

IF they choose to go for it again with most of this group, they better re-sign Colon and add another quality starter. I'd only let Jose bat lefty...and I'd give split time to Graffy. I'd still try to trade Paulie and then give more playing time at first to Frank [if he's back as well]. I'd have Reed at spring training, hoping we got lucky with a young guy ready for the majors in center...I personally do not think Aaron Rowand is enough in center. Robbie has to be re-signed, as does Sully.

Forkit!

I am not the biggest fan of Valentin, but at this point what other options do the Sox have. There are no decent SS prospects that will be ready for the major next year in the Sox system, and there aren't a lot of quality SS on the FA market this offseason. Tejada and the Japanese SS are pipedreams. The Sox are probably going to cut payroll this offseason and probably won't be big players on the FA market. Besides Tejada is overrated, and I still have questions about Japanese hitters adjusting to major league pitching. Compare Valentin's and Tejada's numbers and you will see that there isn't a huge difference, especially not a 7-10+M/year difference, which is probably how much more the Sox would have to pay for Tejada instead of Valentin. Tejada's greatest asset is his power numbers at SS, which Valentin already supplies. Besides that Tejada does nothing else exceptional well, so I really think he is overrated and that some team is going to overpay for him. Hopefully Valentin will sign a 2 year extension for less then his 5M option, something in the ballpark of 2 years for 3-4M/year is a reasonable price for a solid SS. Remember that you can't have an AS at every position unless you are the Yankees, and that quality SS are hard to come by. Hopefully within 2 years a better option will appear either from within the Sox system or on the FA market.

I am not the biggest fan of Valentin, but at this point what other options do the Sox have. There are no decent SS prospects that will be ready for the major next year in the Sox system, and there aren't a lot of quality SS on the FA market this offseason. Tejada and the Japanese SS are pipedreams. The Sox are probably going to cut payroll this offseason and probably won't be big players on the FA market. Besides Tejada is overrated, and I still have questions about Japanese hitters adjusting to major league pitching. Compare Valentin's and Tejada's numbers and you will see that there isn't a huge difference, especially not a 7-10+M/year difference, which is probably how much more the Sox would have to pay for Tejada instead of Valentin. Tejada's greatest asset is his power numbers at SS, which Valentin already supplies. Besides that Tejada does nothing else exceptional well, so I really think he is overrated and that some team is going to overpay for him. Hopefully Valentin will sign a 2 year extension for less then his 5M option, something in the ballpark of 2 years for 3-4M/year is a reasonable price for a solid SS. Remember that you can't have an AS at every position unless you are the Yankees, and that quality SS are hard to come by. Hopefully within 2 years a better option will appear either from within the Sox system or on the FA market.

There has been a lot of speculation that Eckstein and Guzman both may be non tendered. Jimmy Rollins may be available. None of these guys ar perfect, but I would just hate to get locked in with this automatic out.

i'd rather see the sox look another direction at SS

valentine is at an age where he will continue to decline, not improve.

his defense was solid this year, but there is always a chance he could revert to the play of the last few years,

He's an automatic out hitting right handed.

and although his power is nice, we have enough power. We need guys with better on-base percentages who can turn the lineup over. That's not Jose.

Time for a change.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but here goes. Valentin is usually called a team leader and this reason is why he should be brought back. I call bulls*** on that. This team has been a disappointment and a leader of a disappointing team isn't worth having around. I think if the team wants a leader, a new and real leader, they should bring back Everett. He has shown true fire and seems to know how to win, even if he couldn't whip these sad sacks into winners in the 2 months he was given. I think we could find any decent SS to hit .225 for the year. Everett should be brought back because this team needs a winning leader.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but here goes. Valentin is usually called a team leader and this reason is why he should be brought back. I call bulls*** on that. This team has been a disappointment and a leader of a disappointing team isn't worth having around. I think if the team wants a leader, a new and real leader, they should bring back Everett. He has shown true fire and seems to know how to win, even if he couldn't whip these sad sacks into winners in the 2 months he was given. I think we could find any decent SS to hit .225 for the year. Everett should be brought back because this team needs a winning leader.

I agree 100%.

If this is true, it is not all bad. I don't think he would need to be used as the starting SS because, at his age, his skills have obviously gotten worse. So what I'm thinking they could do is use him as a super utility player. We know he can play SS, and if you can play SS, you can play EVERY infield position there is, aside from catcher(which he could be used as in an emergency). He also played a little CF in 2001, and while it wasn't pretty, he could also play there. What I'm thinking he could do is be a guy that gets 3-4 starts a week and give a guy a day off. It would give us a decent bat off the bench, a guy with great baseball instincts, and it still gives us the option to use him as our starter at SS if we can't bring anyone in. He can be used at, for example, 3rd base if Crede gets into a huge slump, or something to that extent.

Probably won't happen if he is resigned, but it is a possibility....especially with a better manager.

IF the Sox don't have an immediate replacement for Valentin AND they can sign him for less than $3 mil a year, I'd consider bringing him back simply because he has improved his defense.

offensively he's been terrible, but at $2 million, I think he isn't a bad option to have.

personally, I'd prefer him gone and have wanted him gone for a couple years now, but if he's their lone option, sign him cheap.

I agree 100%.

Agreed. I can honestly say I've been b****ing about Jose since the start of 2001. I gave him 2000 since he did produce pretty damn well offensively. Since then he's gotten off soley on 2000. Folks, its 3 years from then and Jose still strikes out too much and now its tough for him to hit .230.

I could give a rats ass how many homers the guy hits, OBP is what matters when your a playe thats supposed to get off by doing the little things well. I will give him credit for one thing...his defense improved.

On a sidenote, I'm seeing more and more people feel this way about Jose...Brando if your lurking do you want him back? Or are you ready for a change...Matsui/Guzman.

IF the Sox don't have an immediate replacement for Valentin AND they can sign him for less than $3 mil a year, I'd consider bringing him back simply because he has improved his defense.

offensively he's been terrible, but at $2 million, I think he isn't a bad option to have.

personally, I'd prefer him gone and have wanted him gone for a couple years now, but if he's their lone option, sign him cheap.

I'd prefer another choice. Hell, none of the above. Jose is useless. Guzman is rumored to be out there and if he is, he'd be a definate upgrade. Very good defensive player, strong arm, amazing speed and he's got the chance to be a pretty darn good offensive player.

I wouldn't say Jose is worthless.

I agree if we can get somebody good, fine, let's do it.

If not, Jose is not totally worthless.

Now D'Angelo, Rios and Harris ... they were (are) worthless.

Fine Jose isn't worthless, but hes pretty damn close. Yeah, he has the occasional home run but if you hit .226 with an OBP of .301 you're worthless.