Jose Valentin

Dick Allen

Good point, soxfan.

My question is: Who can we get to replace him?

Is that guy from Japan available and is he any good?

Anybody else we can realistically sign as f. agent?

Or acquire for Botch via trade?

I wouldn't be against replacing Jose, but he has bashed several

key homers for our .500-ish team.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.  I can honestly say I've been b****ing about Jose since the start of 2001.  <clip> .Brando if your lurking do you want him back?

I claim first here, i was against Valentin in 2000 - I liked his bat and cringed over his errors and when the season was over I was very clear that we needed a new shortstop. I wanted ARod - who didn't - or anyone. And we got anyone. And damn it for all Clayton's faults, I still prefered Royce to St. JosE6, who hit lower last season than Clayton and did it again by a bigger margin this year.

I also was clear last season I wanted them both gone, and was happy when 1 left and unhappy when the other stayed.

BrandoFan bashed me repeatedly all early season with his guarentee that with StJosE6 playing the Sox would play 600 ball. Well, Valentin played at short all year and we didn't play 600 ball now, Brando, did we? When back, you might wish to retract your comments.

I want a new shortstop. If the Sox resign Valentin, I will be pissed as hell. I am tired of his lack of production, his mouth, his everything, and especially the salary that he is in line for with us if he stays.

And I claim first on wanting him gone. Gone. Gone. Now is the time.

I wouldn't say Jose is worthless.

I agree if we can get somebody good, fine, let's do it.

If not, Jose is not totally worthless.

Now D'Angelo, Rios and Harris ... they were (are) worthless.

which is why I never say St JosE6 is worthless.

You have given us great examples of worthlessness.

So did KW.

And damn it for all Clayton's faults, I still prefered Royce to St. JosE6, who hit lower last season than Clayton and did it again by a bigger margin this year.

What the hell were you on when you thought that? I mean I've heard people say stupid stuff when their high but never anything even approaching that. :D

IF the Sox don't have an immediate replacement for Valentin AND they can sign him for less than $3 mil a year, I'd consider bringing him back simply because he has improved his defense.

offensively he's been terrible, but at $2 million, I think he isn't a bad option to have.

personally, I'd prefer him gone and have wanted him gone for a couple years now, but if he's their lone option, sign him cheap.

I'd prefer another choice. Hell, none of the above. Jose is useless. Guzman is rumored to be out there and if he is, he'd be a definate upgrade. Very good defensive player, strong arm, amazing speed and he's got the chance to be a pretty darn good offensive player.

In the Twins-Tigers game, Guzman looked a little disinterested today on some plays. I do not get to see him alot, but it kind of worried me. He would skip the ball over to Dougie. I would rather have him than Jose though.

Here are a few shortstops I'm pretty sure are available off the top of my head: Tejada (no chance), Kaz Matsui (unlikely), Christian Guzman, David Eckstein, and I believe Rich Aurilla is also a free agent.

I don't really want Aurillia. I didn't know Guzman was available. I think he's the guy I want here now.

Ick. Cristian Guzman....I've heard nothing but bad things about him, and from seeing him everyday, he can get VERY ugly at the plate.

If we got him for $1-$3 mill a year....maybe. But he can't steal bases(even with his great speed), he can be a very bad player at times, and it seriously looks like he just doesn't give a s*** half the time.

Not sure I'd want Eckstein either after seeing what he did this year. Gotta love his attitude toward the game though.

Aurilia could be a sleeper. Am I the only one who remembers that Aurilia won an MVP a couple years ago? Something tells me he could do that here too. Get out of that dreaded stadium for anyone, especially right-handed hitters, and get into a hitters park where the ball flies off the bat during the summer....man oh man could that get fun.

I'd take Matsui too.

We need a guy who can hit at least over .280 and doesn'r make errors in da field to take Jose's spot at SS. I'd luv Eckstein here, imagine him and Miles together in da infield, smallest 1 ever probably, lol. But we've got enough guys on this team who can hit for power, we need some1 who can put da ball in play. Guzman's form has dropped off big time, and he's got questions bout his work ethic.

Bruce Levineline is reporting the White Sox are discussing a 2 year extension with Valentin. Please let this not be true.

2.0 million base salary

1.0 incentives...lets see that would be 6 mil over 2 years

Here are a few shortstops I'm pretty sure are available off the top of my head: Tejada (no chance), Kaz Matsui (unlikely), Christian Guzman, David Eckstein, and I believe Rich Aurillia is also a free agent.

I'll take Guzman.

If we re-sign Roberto imagine that middle infield range. It would be spectacular.

CWSOX45

Guest hotsoxchick1
Here are a few shortstops I'm pretty sure are available off the top of my head: Tejada (no chance), Kaz Matsui (unlikely), Christian Guzman, David Eckstein, and I believe Rich Aurillia is also a free agent.

weve already got eckstein here in miles....and those others will come with a nice price tag so you know damn right well jr wont go for that after a losing season.......why not just keep robbie and have miles step up and take over short....the two of them could work out nicely .........and its an affordable move that even jr wont pass up............were gonna suck next year with rebuilding the team anyhow since this one will be sliced and diced to the lowest dollar .......

weve already got eckstein here in miles....and those others will come with a nice price tag so you know damn right well jr wont go for that after a losing season.......why not just keep robbie and have miles step up and take over short....the two of them could work out nicely .........and its an affordable move that even jr wont pass up............were gonna suck next year with rebuilding the team anyhow since this one will be sliced and diced to the lowest dollar .......

Aaron Miles is not a SS. Not enough range or arm to play it. Could he fill in at 3B? Sure SS? No way.

Aaron Miles at SS???

No way. His only position is 2nd Base. He hasn't made it to the big leagues at 2nd, he'll be 27 later this year, I don't see how he'd be remotely qualified to be a starting SS.

I like Miles too, but suggesting he be the starting SS is a pipe dream.

Problem is if they re-sign Jose and Robbie, then the Sox have basically two automatic outs against lefties. Neither should be in the lineup often, if at all, against a LH pitcher. Catch is, and I know the number varies year-to-year and even within a season, but at the beginning of the year this year, about 33% of AL starters were LH. A much higher % that I would have thought.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Aaron Miles at SS???

No way.  His only position is 2nd Base.  He hasn't made it to the big leagues at 2nd, he'll be 27 later this year, I don't see how he'd be remotely qualified to be a starting SS.

well out of the options that were proposed he would be best fit.. you know jr aint gonna cough any money up for next year to sign a tejada..........

Aaron Miles at SS???

No way.  His only position is 2nd Base.  He hasn't made it to the big leagues at 2nd, he'll be 27 later this year, I don't see how he'd be remotely qualified to be a starting SS.

well out of the options that were proposed he would be best fit.. you know jr aint gonna cough any money up for next year to sign a tejada..........

Michelle, I know you like him, but Aaron at SS is not an option at all. His range is only decent at 2B. There are always options, many of which we can't even see as possible at this point. No need to sweat it at this point.... esp. considering it looks as if Jose may end up back here anyway.

We need a guy who can hit at least over .280 and doesn'r make errors in da field to take Jose's spot at SS. I'd luv Eckstein here, imagine him and Miles together in da infield, smallest 1 ever probably, lol. But we've got enough guys on this team who can hit for power, we need some1 who can put da ball in play. Guzman's form has dropped off big time, and he's got questions bout his work ethic.

You won't find a SS that doesn't make errors. Jose does have quite a few errors, but 18 really isn't that bad of a number. Just be glad that we don't have Rafael Furcal....he only has 31 errors. Berroa in KC has 24. Garciaparra has 18. Tejada has 17 in 155 games or so. And Clayton has like 13 in 135 games....which is about the same number of games Jose played in. Jose also has more range then 3 steps either way.

• 8 months later...