Improving the team from within

ron883

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 07:06 AM)
Northsider, both Coats and Hawkins will have to be protected next off season or be at risk for Rule V. What will Sox do?

Are you trolling here? Hawkins is striking out at a 35% clip in his second go around at AA. Unless he pulls a complete 180, no major league team would consider putting him on their major league roster and Sox won't be protecting him.

As for Coats, you act as if we haven't put fringe prospects on our 40 man roster before. Take a look at some the names over the past few years and tell me why Coats wouldn't make the cut). Honestly, he'll probably be our 40 man roster within the next 8 hours as I expect to be called up for today's game.

We all get you hate tools and focus entirely on traditional stats when evaluating prospects, but you're really reaching here with whatever statement you're trying to make.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 06:16 AM)
Are you trolling here? Hawkins is striking out at a 35% clip in his second go around at AA. Unless he pulls a complete 180, no major league team would consider putting him on their major league roster and Sox won't be protecting him.

As for Coats, you act as if we haven't put fringe prospects on our 40 man roster before. Take a look at some the names over the past few years and tell me why Coats wouldn't make the cut). Honestly, he'll probably be our 40 man roster within the next 8 hours as I expect to be called up for today's game.

We all get you hate tools and focus entirely on traditional stats when evaluating prospects, but you're really reaching here with whatever statement you're trying to make.

Just asking a simple question from the guy who really covers this stuff. How is this hateful? Lighten up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
They protected Walker and Mitchell for quite awhile, didn't they?

I would still be surprised if they just gave up on Hawkins...maybe next year.

Not protecting someone does not mean they're giving up them. Like I said, if Hawkins continues to strike out at a 35% clip, which would be worse than his first year in AA, there would be absolutely no risk in losing him. Walker & Mitchell at least provided plus speed & defense, so there was hypothetically a chance some team would snag them in the Rule 5 and use them as a bench piece. Hawkins simply doesn't have the skillset to be a Rule 5 pick.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)
Not protecting someone does not mean they're giving up them. Like I said, if Hawkins continues to strike out at a 35% clip, which would be worse than his first year in AA, there would be absolutely no risk in losing him. Walker & Mitchell at least provided plus speed & defense, so there was hypothetically a chance some team would snag them in the Rule 5 and use them as a bench piece. Hawkins simply doesn't have the skillset to be a Rule 5 pick.

There's little risk for one of those cellar-dwelling NL teams to stick him on a roster for one year and see if they can fix his mechanical issues...stranger things have happened.

Remember, we did the same thing with Nieto at catcher and have nothing to show for it. Did Nieto really have more upside than Hawkins still carries today? I don't think so.

With the continued success of Thompson and Semien, other teams might start paying a bit more attention to some of our more athletic players and figure out ways to maximize their ability. High first round draft picks are simply embarrassing for GM's to cast aside until there's no other choice, like they did with Jared Mitchell after giving him about 3 too many chances.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
There's little risk for one of those cellar-dwelling NL teams to stick him on a roster for one year and see if they can fix his mechanical issues...stranger things have happened.

Remember, we did the same thing with Nieto at catcher and have nothing to show for it. Did Nieto really have more upside than Hawkins still carries today? I don't think so.

With the continued success of Thompson and Semien, other teams might start paying a bit more attention to some of our more athletic players and figure out ways to maximize their ability. High first round draft picks are simply embarrassing for GM's to cast aside until there's no other choice, like they did with Jared Mitchell after giving him about 3 too many chances.

Catcher is an incredibly scarce position, corner outfielder is not. I do agree there is some chance the ego factor could be at play and cause Hahn to protect him, although I still feel that would be the wrong decision. Courtney Hawkins will never be a good major leaguer IMO and there's no reason to waste a 40 man spot on him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
Catcher is an incredibly scarce position, corner outfielder is not. I do agree there is some chance the ego factor could be at play and cause Hahn to protect him, although I still feel that would be the wrong decision. Courtney Hawkins will never be a good major leaguer IMO and there's no reason to waste a 40 man spot on him.

We keep saying that, but Avisail Garcia has been a disappointment, and LaRoche and Cabrera were last season (putting together the idea of LF/RF/DH together).

It's easy to find 700-725ish OPS types, but the true difference makers aren't easy to find, even at that position...especially when you factor in both offense and defense.

Look at how much money went to Gordon, Heyward, Cespedes and Upton. Chris Davis hasn't exactl y been earning his contract from the Orioles, either. Three of those deals look terrible, Davis is close to it and Cespedes is at best a "fair price" based on his production and importance to the Mets' offense so far this year. The only players that were bargains (so far) have been Fowler and Ian Desmond, with Trumbo and Michael Saunders on the trade market.

As it is right now, we're struggling to get a 700 OPS out of DH, let alone a 775-825.

And, who knows, maybe Coats will be a pleasant surprise, for once...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2016 -> 06:49 AM)
Because you have an agenda against guys like Hawkins and it was evident once again based on your post.

WTF are you talking about? I have an agenda against "guys like Hawkins"? Because I asked Northsider if he thinks Sox will protect him? That's an agenda?

Lighten up.