Games 55-108

flavum

Right now, you have to assume 90 wins is what is needed to get the AL Central. So the Sox need to get to 60-48 after 108 games to be on that pace. I'll keep track of this for the next 54 games, and up date after each series. You'll see if the Sox are ahead or behind as we go along....

at Det 2-1

vs Was 2-1

vs KC 2-1

vs Det 2-1

at Cle 1-2

at Bos 2-2

vs Tor 2-1

vs Min 2-1

at Hou 2-1

vs NY 2-1

vs Atl 2-1

at LAA 2-1

at Sea 1-2

vs Det 2-2

vs Chi 1-1

at Chi 1-1

at Min 2-1

at Det 1-2

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
Right now, you have to assume 90 wins is what is needed to get the AL Central. So the Sox need to get to 60-48 after 108 games to be on that pace. I'll keep track of this for the next 54 games, and up date after each series. You'll see if the Sox are ahead or behind as we go along....

at Det 2-1

vs Was 2-1

vs KC 2-1

vs Det 2-1

at Cle 1-2

at Bos 2-2

vs Tor 2-1

vs Min 2-1

at Hou 2-1

vs NY 2-1

vs Atl 2-1

at LAA 2-1

at Sea 1-2

vs Det 2-2

vs Chi 1-1

at Chi 1-1

at Min 2-1

at Det 1-2

I don't see us going 8-4 over the next 12...

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 3, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
Is this your prediction?

Not really a prediction, just what the Sox need to do if they're playing division-winning type baseball. Obviously, it won't go exactly like this series to series, but the aggregate of these 54 games should be 31-23 if the Royals also continue on a 90-win pace.

Well, first of all, while I do agree that it typically takes 90 games to win a division, I don't know that I'd assume that it will take 90 wins to win this ALC. The AL is an extremely even league this year, and it appears something like at least 10 teams (maybe even 12) have a shot at winning at least 77-82 wins. Currently there are maybe 13 of 15 teams in the AL within 5 games of .500. I could see 86-87-88 games winning the ALC, particularly as the top 4 teams all still have to play each other a ton.

To respond to the way you've broken this down, I must say that in this particular year with this particular team, I don't think that it's particularly useful to break down each series in this way and track it. I think it may be much more useful to track 10 game segments. The variance is clearly huge with this team this year, I think mostly because they are a team that relies on pitching and defense, and one that ends up in many 1-run situations (they've had 21 1-run games thus far and are 10-11). We've seen them go up to Toronto and sweep we've seen them win 2/3 at NYM. Conversely, we've done poorly against the Astros at home, as well as against the Indians. I don't think there's a way to predict each three game series in this way with any accuracy. Maybe it's because this team is also more streak prone than others, although I'm really not sure why.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

This team won a lot of games it had no business winning in April, and lost a lot of games it has no business losing in May. I think the truth is that our record is about where it should be, but we had a weird way of getting to it. Most predictions centered around the mid to high 80's for a seasonal win total, which is what we are on pace for. It still makes sense to me when I look at where the different facets of our game are ranked ( offense, defense, and fielding all have improved this year).

• 4 weeks later...

at Det 2-1 (0-3)

vs Was 2-1 (1-2)

vs KC 2-1 (1-2)

vs Det 2-1 (2-1) -4

at Cle 1-2 (0-3) -5

at Bos 2-2 (3-1) -4

vs Tor 2-1 (2-1) -4

vs Min 2-1 (2-1) -4

at Hou 2-1 (2-1) -4

vs NY 2-1 (2-1) -4

vs Atl 2-1

at LAA 2-1

at Sea 1-2

vs Det 2-2

vs Chi 1-1

at Chi 1-1

at Min 2-1

at Det 1-2

Reviving this for Caulfield. The Sox went 12-15 in Games 55-81.

Still 4 games behind where they should be when the middle 54 started. Hopefully sweep the Braves and go at least 4-2 out west after the break.