Hahn/Hostetler with shot across KW's bow

caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 07:37 AM)
Don't really care about Collins' 40 time or his vertical at this point. The White Sox drafted a baseball player, not some athlete they are hoping to turn into one.

Being an athlete always helps

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Yes but looking at the talented athletes the Sox have drafted haven't done with well.

That doesn't mean you stop drafting them, it means you change how you develop them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
As John Kruk once said when a woman criticized him for being a professional athlete and smoking in public, lady I'm no athlete. I'm a baseball player.

I laughed hysterically when I saw that interview. Working in the league in the late 80's-early 90's it was true. It really changed now though.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
I laughed hysterically when I saw that interview. Working in the league in the late 80's-early 90's it was true. It really changed now though.

There is no question these guys are on strength and conditioning programs now. Just from the season ticketholder events where you get to go into the clubhouses you see how it's not a candy store anymore. But I want a guy who knows what he is doing on the field. It seems to me most guys who miss development time playing football or basketball at the college level, have a hard time catching up.

The great thing about baseball is you don't have to necessarily be the biggest guy or strongest or fastest. Sure it can help. You can look like a normal guy and still be a great player.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
As John Kruk once said when a woman criticized him for being a professional athlete and smoking in public, lady I'm no athlete. I'm a baseball player.

I recall seeing Kruk standing outside of the visitor's dugout at Wrigley back in the late '80s or early '90s, smoking and eating Ding-Dongs. He was a treasure.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
I recall seeing Kruk standing outside of the visitor's dugout at Wrigley back in the late '80s or early '90s, smoking and eating Ding-Dongs. He was a treasure.

And he could hit. Dick Vitale for basketball used to have his all airport team. They were guys who where incredible physical specimens, but couldn't play a lick. They looked great at the airport. That describes some of the guys the Sox have drafted over the years.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)

Even before that. Listen to one of Mantle's interview when he claims he can hardly remember playing games sober.