Zack Collins agrees to deal with White Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
Catchers take much longer to develop and it's too important of a defensive position to try and develop at the MLB level. If Collins is up before 2018 it means that they have given up on him as a catcher and I don't think they want to do that.

I bet you anything that they dont give two s***s about his ability to be a catcher.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 07:07 PM)
I'm of the opinion the Beckham would have failed if he had 10 mi or league at bats or 1000. He just wasn't mentally there IMHO

He had a hitch in his swing that got taken advantage of pretty quickly. He then tried to reinvent his hitting style and he couldnt get to where he used to be.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)
He had a hitch in his swing that got taken advantage of pretty quickly. He then tried to reinvent his hitting style and he couldnt get to where he used to be.

A BRUTAL hitch and I was gonna say that in my last response. It's not too dissimilar to Lawrie's. If Lawrie could eliminate his hitch he'd make so much more contact. No idea how he's gone so far without a professional hitting coach saying, "hey man you gotta get rid of that thing."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
I bet you anything that they dont give two s***s about his ability to be a catcher.

This exactly. Collins was drafted for his bat first and foremost. If Collins bat progresses ahead of his glove behind the plate, his position will likely change to 1B. I think the progression of Collins bat is what matters most to the Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
Beckham wasn't lacking in confidence in the least, on the surface. (Mentally, he was always compared to Paulie and Quentin.)

He just didn't have the hand speed to make up for that hitch. You never saw Beckham absolutely smash-pull a 95+ fastball to LF, maybe ever...

Rookie season. Joe Nathan and the twins. Bacon CRUSHED a 95+ mph fastball to left field

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 07:02 PM)
He's a DH/1B anyway, f*** his glove. He may be the most patient bat on the team if they brought him up right now.

I agree with you, I think it's best for him a player and for the team if they take away his glove and make him a 1B/DH so he can just focus purely on the bat. But you would have to ask why the Sox would draft a 1B/DH 10th overall then and the only way to justify that is by ensuring his bat is as special as it can be.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 01:37 AM)
Yep, it better be Schwarber/Bryant-like results to merit a 10th pick in the first round without having a position...he needs to be Evan Gattis+, not Joe Mauer (since the position change).

On MLBN draft day, they were asked if Schwarber comp was fair and one of the guys said no way. Collins has a glove at least. Forget which one analyst it was. Either callis or mayo.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jun 29, 2016 -> 03:36 AM)
On MLBN draft day, they were asked if Schwarber comp was fair and one of the guys said no way. Collins has a glove at least. Forget which one analyst it was. Either callis or mayo.

Schwarber has more power. Collins has on base skills that this team just doesn't have. I'd be thinking 25-30 homers and tons of walks.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
And he drew two more walks, giving him 4 in his first 3 A+ games.

He's gona be a stud. Too bad we don't have a competent front office to build a winner right now or sell the pieces off and have a great new core for when Collins is ready.