Pulse Nightclub Shooting in Orlando

pettie4sox

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
You are correct, private sales do not need a check. That is what politicians who clamor for universal background check are talking about, but they always make it seem as if nobody anywhere gets any check whatsoever. There are private sellers that make people do background checks. And if the sale is across state lines, it is supposed to go thru a licensed dealer and a background checks. What little studying has been done, however, shows that most criminals steal their guns or buy them from some not so clean people. The type that would ignore any universal background check laws.

Thanks, Alpha.

Are you against registration (ignoring, for the moment, that it's not passable legislation at the federal level at the moment)? That seems like the only way you can really track private sales...

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
I thought I saw that the gun shop didn't have the guy's name, address, or any other identifying information, and the video footage was not of the greatest quality. I also thought I saw that the tape has since been wiped in the ordinary course of business, so they can't verify anything re: the video. I'm not sure what the FBI could have done with that.

Sidenote, the "See Something, Say Something" mantra has always seemed like it's probably not that helpful to me. I don't envy the amount of noise those guys likely have to sift through.

"Yeah, FBI? This guy came into our store and a bought a gun. Looks suspicious. That's all the info we have. Thanks!"

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Thanks, Alpha.

Are you against registration (ignoring, for the moment, that it's not passable legislation at the federal level at the moment)? That seems like the only way you can really track private sales...

I personally am against it. The Feds have no business knowing what I own or how many of them. I believe it makes it easier for them to try and take them should things go sideways. There are cases in court now where State troopers in MA are accused of illegally accessing a gun database in that state when they pull motorists over and if they are gun owners, demanding to be allowed to search the car, making threats if they are told no, and so on. You couldn't guarantee that the list wouldn't be used in bad ways, so no list.

You sort of have a defacto registration already, just not one that some guy can go hack. Every store keeps the records of their sales, serial numbers and to whom. So if a gun is found at a crime scene, police can have records searched at local stores looking for ownership info, The serial number will tell them which store had it, the store can then go find who they sold it to.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
"Yeah, FBI? This guy came into our store and a bought a gun. Looks suspicious. That's all the info we have. Thanks!"

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/17/us/orlando-s...teen/index.html

Story on CNN. It's pretty ridiculous that this is front page news.

This store is hyper vigilant. Per the story, they previously reported a bunch of Arabic looking guys buying police gear... who turned out to be police officers.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
But if you're a psycho intent on mass killings you're clearly not worried about legal consequences so...

Except you can't really arrest these people on anything prior to their murder. If you are going to prevent these deaths without changing any rules in regard to the tools they use, then there needs to be some regulateable behavior. This would make weapons with high capacity/rapid fire harder to get, and if hacked, would be something to arrest them on if found/warrant created.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 17, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
I personally am against it. The Feds have no business knowing what I own or how many of them.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

How can you help defend this nation from foreign troops if the government doesn't know what you have? George Washington felt we need a well regulated militia to defend a free State. Are you turning your back on that? How can you be a part of that well regulated militia without the people who will regulate you know what you have?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 07:57 AM)

How can you help defend this nation from foreign troops if the government doesn't know what you have? George Washington felt we need a well regulated militia to defend a free State. Are you turning your back on that? How can you be a part of that well regulated militia without the people who will regulate you know what you have?

They only said you had to have a minimum. they didn't go and make sure what everyone had. You could have more than that minimum and that was fine. Tell me that minimum, I'll go well above that.

Well, it's been a week so the Orlando shooting story has maxed out. Everybody knows everything about the killer; all the stories have been told; all the vigils have been held.

In other words, rinse and repeat is coming.

This story is done for now, unless the wife gets charged with something. Now we move onto the next. Nobody knows where it will take place or when, but we know one thing, it's coming cause nothing has changed or ever will change. Only thing that's happening is those planning the attacks are doing so even as we speak.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
Well, it's been a week so the Orlando shooting story has maxed out. Everybody knows everything about the killer; all the stories have been told; all the vigils have been held.

In other words, rinse and repeat is coming.

This story is done for now, unless the wife gets charged with something. Now we move onto the next. Nobody knows where it will take place or when, but we know one thing, it's coming cause nothing has changed or ever will change. Only thing that's happening is those planning the attacks are doing so even as we speak.

Well, here is a rumor I heard if you want to do some digging. What I heard was that the security company the guy worked for has itself been investigated for some shady dealings, but because it does a lot of work for both the US and British government, some 'problems' get swept under the rug. Like removing the shooter from the terrorist watch list. Also heard that he has an accomplice who was inside preventing people from leaving while he rampaged throughout. Have fun with those.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
There will be a steady trickle of stuff. The ISIS stuff seems like crap, just a poser trying to be a part of something bigger.

That's what initial reports from the investigations seem to be indicating. He followed the typical mass shooter template (sandy hook, aurora, UCSB) much more than he followed any sort of ISIS radicalization template, and may have just used ISIS (and various anti-ISIS groups) as a way to grab even more attention.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
Well, here is a rumor I heard if you want to do some digging. What I heard was that the security company the guy worked for has itself been investigated for some shady dealings, but because it does a lot of work for both the US and British government, some 'problems' get swept under the rug. Like removing the shooter from the terrorist watch list. Also heard that he has an accomplice who was inside preventing people from leaving while he rampaged throughout. Have fun with those.

lol @ both of those "rumors" aka completely made-up things.

what would the security company (G4S, who is no stranger to government criticism for their f***ups e.g. 2012 Olympics) have to gain from taking some random lowest-level employee off of the FBI watch list?

Edited by StrangeSox

So, if the NRA keeps blocking gun studies and everything else, do we eventually label them as domestic terrorism?

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:

- Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;

- Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and

- Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.

You can easily checkmark two and three.

Please keep in mind that the NRA are citizens that collectively lobby for what they believe in through their national organization. I respect that as well as Churches, environmental groups, PTAs, etc.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
Please keep in mind that the NRA are citizens that collectively lobby for what they believe in through their national organization. I respect that as well as Churches, environmental groups, PTAs, etc.

Forgot to greentext the first part. I don't actually think they should be, because it is a citizen lobby. But for anyone that wants to go "Muslim = terrorist", then, well the NRA probably would fit as well.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing just pointing out that the NRA represents a lot of American citizens. I cancelled my membership because I didn't agree with their lobbying efforts, but I have plenty of friends who still maintain their memberships and some even toss in some extra. There is a face to the NRA that if you are going to wage a battle needs to be seen.

Look at some of the recent winners around baseball (even tonight).

Junior Guerra was in our system and let go. Anyone could have had Dustin McGowan. Feldman with the Astros.

Yovanni Gallardo. Lincecum. Edinson Volquez. Colby Lewis.

The only pitcher that might have been a WORSE decision than Shields was arguably Ubaldo Jimenez. Even the O's announcers really detest him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 10:03 PM)
Look at some of the recent winners around baseball (even tonight).

Junior Guerra was in our system and let go. Anyone could have had Dustin McGowan. Feldman with the Astros.

Yovanni Gallardo. Lincecum. Edinson Volquez. Colby Lewis.

The only pitcher that might have been a WORSE decision than Shields was arguably Ubaldo Jimenez. Even the O's announcers really detest him.

...?