2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
Has to be a ploy to get Miami to up their 2 for 40 offer.

I think this has to be it as well and the only way it isn't is if Wade has decided he wants to take another run at another title and realizes that Golden State and Cleveland are really the only teams that have a chance and he is willing to give up the final big contract for a final shot at a ring. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up in Miami but every good piece that Golden State or Cleveland adds at this point just makes the gap between them and the rest of the league even larger.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
Wade is just using leverage, he's very good at it. Dirk signing for 20 mill just set his rate, maybe a bit higher.

Beside...wade isn't that good anymore so I don't know why that would be game over for the league if cavs get him.

I agree that I don't think it happens but he would make the Cavs quite a bit better and it is already game over for the Eastern Conference even if the Cavs don't add Wade. He isn't elite anymore but he is still a good player and for a team without a lot of depth adding a guy like Wade would be a huge help.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
Wade had by far his best postseason since '12. That said, I don't think he's what Cleveland needs. Cleveland, especially now with Durant selling out, needs more length, athleticism and defensive versatility.

Right, he's not bad but he shot 15% from 3pt, On cle, a good 3pt % shooter at the 2 is scarier. There are marginal returns on 3 guys who drive primarily.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
I don't see the Bulls really being in it and I just think Wades camp is using them as leverage.

Which is fine. Might as well get any other team spending more cash and lessening any potential cap space for when they need to spend.

MLB, might not make much sense. But these caps, make them pay as much as possible.

Jeff Dickerson was just talking about how Rajon Rondo used to park in Rick Carlisle's parking space in Dallas. He was joking about Hoiberg coming in to work and Rondo being seated at his desk. I can't wait for this. Bulls should sign Lance Stephenson too.

The NBA is so lame now. Two all star teams and then everyone else, and all because players are purposely building them up for rings. I'm not hating on Durant for joining the Warriors or Lebron for starting this Superstar team-building idea. It just makes the NBA so blah...

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
The NBA is so lame now. Two all star teams and then everyone else, and all because players are purposely building them up for rings. I'm not hating on Durant for joining the Warriors or Lebron for starting this Superstar team-building idea. It just makes the NBA so blah...

It feels that way, but those ESPN GSW games are going to break all kinds of records

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
It feels that way, but those ESPN GSW games are going to break all kinds of records

No doubt, I'm just personally over it as a fan. GSW can keep building up, and Lebron can keep playing in the East where he can take the last 15 games of the year off and cruise to the finals. Then the fun debates continue about whether Golden State is the best team of all time and whether Lebron is the GOAT.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
No doubt, I'm just personally over it as a fan. GSW can keep building up, and Lebron can keep playing in the East where he can take the last 15 games of the year off and cruise to the finals. Then the fun debates continue about whether Golden State is the best team of all time and whether Lebron is the GOAT.

Yeah unfortunately that's the game until they harden the cap. I don't think that will ever happen, though.

Remember, Michael Jordan made more money than certain playoff teams late in his career. We Bulls fans rode the soft cap for a good portion of MJ's career.

Edited by Deadpool

It's not the cap in general it's the player salary cap. Basically every team could have offered Durant the same amount of money except for OKC.

The owners thought the extra year and money would be a big advantage, but players are seeing an exploding cap and realizing that cashing in is way better.

IF you take money out of the consideration, you have left best fit and winning. He chose the obvious choice for winning.

I don't see why to lower the cap in general, I don't really feel like it's that important to further enrich a small amount of billionaire owners.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
This is a joke.

And I feel like they're gonna bust and it will be hysterical.

I kinda do too. I kinda feel like teams in the finals will go so hard at them, and so many will be rooting against them, that they all look around waiting for someone else to take the ball.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
It's not the cap in general it's the player salary cap. Basically every team could have offered Durant the same amount of money except for OKC.

The owners thought the extra year and money would be a big advantage, but players are seeing an exploding cap and realizing that cashing in is way better.

IF you take money out of the consideration, you have left best fit and winning. He chose the obvious choice for winning.

I don't see why to lower the cap in general, I don't really feel like it's that important to further enrich a small amount of billionaire owners.

Yep, if you keep the salary cap and keep it a soft cap these super teams are stopped the moment you get rid of the max salary. If OKC can offer Durant $50 mil per he isn't leaving OKC. Suddenly if it costs $50 mil per season for LeBron, Curry, Westbrook, etc. only home grown great teams are really possible because while these guys will turn down some money for a better shot at winning they aren't leaving $20 million on the table.

When I was in high school, year round, I played with guys on my team from school. AAU wasn't a thing. Summer leagues, camps, open gyms. We played together.

Now this AAU culture brings kid up to play with the best and not against them. Picking teams to get the easiest win is the opposite of what I came up on. Now it happens in college with transfers and NBA with FA and super teams. No loyalty.

Just my 2 cents.

One thing about the Durant thing I've missed. Could Oklahoma City have paid him as much the next two years as GSW? My obvious guess is 'yes' with the new cap space, etc., but I was wondering.

I'm still very shocked about this. I'm trying to figure out what Durant was thinking in spurning OKC for GSW if money was the same basically. Durant and Westbrook should have won this year. So much for the "can't win in OKC argument." They simply blew that series. If they stayed healthy next year, it probably would have been OKC's turn.

Reading Durant's article he said he needed this personally to leave his comfort zone and go play somewhere else. Assuming he didn't just make that up and means it, I don't know what that means. True he's the mayor of OKC so to speak, but living in his skin isn't exactly "comfortable." His team choked in the playoffs and figured to be one of the favorites in the West next year.

All I can figure is he truly believes OKC didn't have the team to beat GSW and the Cavs anytime soon. It sure seems like this was a simple decision of picking Curry/Klay over Westbrook/Oladipo. That's not cool. I think OKC woulda won it next year. This decision means Durant didn't feel the same way.