2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 07:36 AM)
For the college crowd. And this means anybody who extensively follows college basketball: Fultz or Ball? And y? Thank you for your time.

Dennis Smith, but all three are great.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
Fans need to boycott Bulls games until one or both of them are fired. Talk about being unqualified for the job and underperforming.

Bulls fans are sheep. They are #1 in attendance. This was interesting from Chad Ford's mock draft though:

17. Chicago Bulls

Jarrett Allen

Texas

Freshman

Center

The Bulls are a mess and the rumblings that there could be major changes to the front office and team this summer appear well-founded. Trying to discern what's next for them, given the team chaos, is difficult.

Allen is a project, but an intriguing one. His defense is ahead of his offense right now, but over the course of the past few weeks he has been making major offensive strides as well.

He seems to be coming on at the right time and could be a nice backup to Robin Lopez for the next year or two while he adds strength and experience.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
Bulls fans are sheep. They are #1 in attendance. This was interesting from Chad Ford's mock draft though:

17. Chicago Bulls

Jarrett Allen

Texas

Freshman

Center

The Bulls are a mess and the rumblings that there could be major changes to the front office and team this summer appear well-founded. Trying to discern what's next for them, given the team chaos, is difficult.

Allen is a project, but an intriguing one. His defense is ahead of his offense right now, but over the course of the past few weeks he has been making major offensive strides as well.

He seems to be coming on at the right time and could be a nice backup to Robin Lopez for the next year or two while he adds strength and experience.

Yep, most of the crowd at Bulls games are the same people who showed at Wrigley year after year.

Bulls attendance amazes me. Before MJ, they would routinely draw less than 10k a night. Even his first couple of years, most nights, unless they were playing LA, Boston or Philadelphia, you could easily buy tickets at the box office the night of the game. But even when they were awful afterwards, and mediocre now, and ticket prices are really a joke, they have no problem filling the place up.

You know...despite all the Bulls struggles, they are still the professional sports team that currently provides me the most enjoyment (given that I'm not a huge hockey fan). Sox / Bears are awful. Even these past two years, I can still watch and vividly enjoy Bulls games. Not as much as I could during the Thibs era, but they are still a solid team who plays some good games. Yes, they do their share of frustrating things, but hey, if I'm comparing to my other franchises, the Bulls are by far had the most success (maybe a sad statement, but a true statement).

I'm hoping the Bears change that soon...but Sox are a few years away from having what I'd call an entertaining product (in the sense that we can even be thinking about the playoffs).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
You know...despite all the Bulls struggles, they are still the professional sports team that currently provides me the most enjoyment (given that I'm not a huge hockey fan). Sox / Bears are awful. Even these past two years, I can still watch and vividly enjoy Bulls games. Not as much as I could during the Thibs era, but they are still a solid team who plays some good games. Yes, they do their share of frustrating things, but hey, if I'm comparing to my other franchises, the Bulls are by far had the most success (maybe a sad statement, but a true statement).

I'm hoping the Bears change that soon...but Sox are a few years away from having what I'd call an entertaining product (in the sense that we can even be thinking about the playoffs).

Bulls are clearly the furthest away from winning a championship. And that's what I care about.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Bulls are clearly the furthest away from winning a championship. And that's what I care about.

I don't know how you can say clearly. There isn't one of the 3 where a championship is anywhere in sight. For all we know, they may all be another 50+ years away.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
I don't know how you can say clearly. There isn't one of the 3 where a championship is anywhere in sight.

Bears and White Sox have a path to a title. Draft, trades, free agent signings. The nature of the NBA puts the Bulls in an impossible situation. Barring like 5-6 teams getting in a plane crash, there really is no path to a title for the Bulls.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)

I don't even know how to figure that out. Bears don't have a QB on the roster capable of leading them to a superbowl, so I don't see it with them. Sox, hell if I know. We have no idea who any of these prospects are and what will happen. Football tends to have more turnover and quicker rises from bottom to top, so it could be the Bears, but I don't know how to justify that statement. I know you disagree that the Bulls will be unable to put another superstar around Butler, but given they have one of the best players in the land (in a sport where best players matter the most), I would still say Bulls are most likely of teams to be successful over the next 5 years. I don't know that I'd peg any of them to win a major championship in that span, at least not now. Maybe all the guys the Sox traded for go on to become superstars and it could happen, but there is no science / high probability I would put on that.

It seems clear that the Bulls path is to target free agency this off-season and we'll see what happens. I think they are going to try another year with Butler and at that point, they'll see what they want to do. I think the report on Gar was more to shut everyone up from talking about the front office for the time being and stop the distraction. That said, none of us were in the rooms when the front office went the path of Wade / Rondo. They might have said, look JR, these moves aren't going to make us much different then being a 7th/8th seed, but here is what / how we see this move helping us take the next steps forward. So while fans might be dissapointed, the ultimate expectation and plan might actually be unfolding as they saw fit (obviously not in the sense that Niko sucks, etc, but more from a roster perspective). In fact, I can't imagine any of them thought Butler was going to take even more steps forward.