2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
And I guess you missed last year's playoffs when George put it on the Raptors to the tune of 27/7.6/4.3/2.0 and nearly 3 3-point makes per game. Butler's playoff stats last year? Oh that's right. He wasn't there. Butler is a stud. You don't have to minimize George to make him look better. And George is signed through next season btw. I don't know why you keep bringing up his FA as if he's a FA this summer.

Because Butler is signed for longer then George. I didn't say George would walk this off-season...I said he's a free agent sooner and is going to get paid more sooner. And I'm not ripping on George. I am just stating the obvious that Jimmy Butler is better then Paul George right now. Maybe that will change...I never made a prediction on the future...just stated who is better right now (after you said that only a Bull fan would say that Butler is better then George today).

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account‏@WojVerticalNBA 20s21 seconds ago

More

Sources: Less than two hours until the NBA Trade Deadline, but no significant traction for Boston on Jimmy Butler or Paul George deals. Yet.

Its not happening.

Obviously Woj is better than all, but both Windhorst and Stein said teams are thinking it gets done.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account‏@WojVerticalNBA 20s21 seconds ago

More

Sources: Less than two hours until the NBA Trade Deadline, but no significant traction for Boston on Jimmy Butler or Paul George deals. Yet.

Its not happening.

I think Paul George goes. I don't think Butler does...unless of course Boston really steps up its offer. I'm more curious as to what other things the Bulls do (specifically as it relates to Niko / Lopez / Taj).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
Pacers involved in talks with teams potentially to clear roster spots, sources say. Teams suspect might be related to Celtics talks

-more from windhorst

If Boston makes a move, I think it will be Paul George. I think Indiana is more willing to move him then the Bulls are to move Butler and I think it will also take less to get George then Butler (which Boston might look at as ultimately being the right move as they get to hold onto additional assets). Ainge should strike while the iron is hot. As I said earlier, he should have been able to land two major players with all the assets he has (especially after Cousins went for so little).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
If I were running the Bulls...I'd pull Wade and Butler in (and would have already done it) and said that our plan is to build for next year. We want to make the playoffs this year, but the main focus is building and improving our team next year. We will have cap room, etc, and at the deadline, we are going to move pieces, pieces who will help us now, but who are not part of our long-term plans and we want you to be aware of this. Basically so you can read where they stand. From there, I would then move a ton of guys for a combination of assets/cap room. I'd imply that going forward, we will work to give other young players more minutes to see who will be part of next years plans, etc., while trying to still compete but get much more athletic in the near-to-mid term.

The reason I'd include Wade is to the extent he wasn't interested, I'd move him. If Jimmy was irate at the plan, I'd then potentially pivot and move him and go full blown rebuild. I would not be soliciting their insight but I do believe that if you are going to build around Jimmy, you should at least have him somewhat informed as to what the overall strategy is (maybe that is a bad idea).

If the Bulls don't make a move, I will be beyond disgusted. Between Taj & Niko, you have to get something back, given they are going to walk and we clearly aren't winning a championship.

I agree with all of this. I still hate the idea of parting with Butler, even for a good haul from Boston.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
When the 76ers don't get the mavs 1st rounder this year, it turns into a 2017 and 2018 second round pick.

What a bad deal.

He's a restrict FA after this year. If they didn't plan to sign him to a max or near max deal, I don't think that's a terrible return. Get something for him before he walks and you get nothing.

Personally, I don't think the Bulls are even talking Butler with the Celtics. I presume Bulls are focused on Niko / Taj / maybe Lopez while obviously looking at Okafor and other pieces. My gut says they aren't wasting their time on moving Butler as they are intending to keep him, but at some point as we get closer to the deadline, Ainge will give Gar/Pax a call and say this is my offer...take it or leave it. I presume this will be after Ainge has a Paul George deal lined up and if the Bulls say no, he will go execute on the George transaction. I expect Boston to land Paul George...maybe that last call to GarPax will drive the Bulls to move Buckets, but right now, I would be shocked if the Bulls are spending much of their deadline attention around Butler and presume their focus is on building around Jimmy (at least at this point in time). If they move Jimmy, it will be in the off-season.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
Would Butler even want to go to the Celtics? He's play second fiddle to Thomas.

No he wouldn't. Butler would be their best player.

The Pacers are going to take a return we should be taking for Jimmy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
No he wouldn't. Butler would be their best player.

The Pacers are going to take a return we should be taking for Jimmy.

Jimmy would be the best player, but Thomas needs the ball to be effective. Someone's losing out.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
A terrible offensive player who can't shoot sounds like a great fit.

Oh, I was simply referring to ridding ourselves of Doug McDermott. A guy who cost us TWO 1st round picks.

Yet GarPax reigns.

The thing that kills me is unlike with the White Sox where you know you could get pretty good value for a Sale etc at any time, there really aren't many times where a team with the celts assets will be there. Especially in a draft year like this.

Oh well,when you complain about how terrible the Bulls FO is, hard to be surprised when they make more stupid decisions. Their legacy was cemented at last years deadline claiming Pau Gasol was part of their core.

When you have a GM that you KNOW will never get another GM job and a coach you KNOW will never get another NBA job its pretty discouraging no matter what the hell they do in the next hour. Although at least Gar could redeem himself a bit by making some shrewd moves that no one expected. But of course he wont.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
When you have a GM that you KNOW will never get another GM job and a coach you KNOW will never get another NBA job its pretty discouraging no matter what the hell they do in the next hour. Although at least Gar could redeem himself a bit by making some shrewd moves that no one expected. But of course he wont.

He won't. The Bulls are the Bulls.

They have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to cash in on Jimmy Butler and they're over in lala land trying to dump previously failed 1st rounders on the Thunder.