2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
He has also missed time and it has not been 6 and a half ears of 30 wins being better than normal. They weren't going to win with him. That doesn't excuse the paltry return. But it was time for him to go. Locking into him for 5 or 6 more years at 40 million per would not have made them a contender. The only thing that will is getting g incredibly lucky.

So AD also gets a pass because he's made of glass?

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
Crowder has been a stud, but if they got Jimmy it's not like he'd get a ton of minutes. I doubt this report is true.

I assume the issue is how many 1st rounders the Bulls get and the inclusion of Brown. Crowder's 27 soon and would never be a reason a Jimmy deal did not go down.

Crowder would be a good role player for a contender. But if we're trading Jimmy, we're rebuilding. Crowder should not be the primary or secondary option for a rebuilding team. I'd rather get an extra first round pick than to be getting caught up on Crowder.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
So AD also gets a pass because he's made of glass?

Hard to blame losing on guys not playing. If Cousins was so freaking great, they would win more than 28 games a year. You were popping off about rheir upside a couple of days ago. Now they will have perhaps 2 lottery picks this draft, and will most likely be one of the favorites to land the top pick for years to come. Maybe the next Michael or LeBron guys that can win more than 30 games with nothingelse will be available then. Think of the upside.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
Hard to blame losing on guys not playing. If Cousins was so freaking great, they would win more than 28 games a year. You were popping off about rheir upside a couple of days ago. Now they will have perhaps 2 lottery picks this draft, and will most likely be one of the favorites to land the top pick for years to come. Maybe the next Michael or LeBron guys that can win more than 30 games with nothingelse will be available then. Think of the upside.

Whose upside was I popping off about a couple of days ago? I'm not following your comment. I was not popping off about the Kings' upside.

I believe I stated that the Bucks and the Nuggets had a ton of upside.

When the Bulls and Celtics talked Butler last summer, there was organizational disharmony between Chicago’s four primary decision-makers (owner Jerry Reinsdorf, president Michael Reinsdorf, general manager Gar Forman, and vice president of basketball operations John Paxson). Not all of them were committed to rebuilding; according to a league front-office executive, Paxson “sees the writing on the wall,” whereas Forman is comfortable with the status quo, while ownership is not amenable to any potential trades.

https://theringer.com/understanding-the-nba...c435#.54mu43ael

Here's the deal. Gar has a job for life - just read that Cowley article. Michael Reinsdorf cares more about lining pockets than winning titles, so as long as the UC is selling out and the Bulls are under the cap, he'll be happy.

We're f***ed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
When the Bulls and Celtics talked Butler last summer, there was organizational disharmony between Chicago’s four primary decision-makers (owner Jerry Reinsdorf, president Michael Reinsdorf, general manager Gar Forman, and vice president of basketball operations John Paxson). Not all of them were committed to rebuilding; according to a league front-office executive, Paxson “sees the writing on the wall,” whereas Forman is comfortable with the status quo, while ownership is not amenable to any potential trades.

https://theringer.com/understanding-the-nba...c435#.54mu43ael

Here's the deal. Gar has a job for life - just read that Cowley article. Michael Reinsdorf cares more about lining pockets than winning titles, so as long as the UC is selling out and the Bulls are under the cap, he'll be happy.

We're f***ed.

Ugh. Every draft and every deadline feels like the Sox at the trade deadline last year (ie, Jackie Bradley or Mookie Betts in any Sale deal). Don't have a foot in each world. It's either a rebuild or it's an all out push to contend. Staying the course right now has no real avenue to a title, or even a conference championship game.

I see no reason why this price would be any less or different today after Jimmy won a gold medal and started the All Star Game. If the Celtics are trolling for a ripoff, they're in the wrong place.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)

I see no reason why this price would be any less or different today after Jimmy won a gold medal and started the All Star Game. If the Celtics are trolling for a ripoff, they're in the wrong place.

Price would be even more.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
Ha, well I was wrong about George:

I.E. - hey if the Bulls won't deal Butler we could get the same for George...

This is where actually hitting on picks would help. It'd be amazing to see Jimmy and PG on the same team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
Cousins is a coach killer, he isn't Lebron or MJ. He is in his 7th year. Last years 33 wins were the most with him on the team.maybe he won't be a problem in NO, but that would be bucking the trend since high school.

They were horrible with him. They will be more horrible without him, but may be better in 6 or 7 years without him, and paying him $240 million wouldn't have made the situation any better. All that said, they weren't going to suddenly be good. And as long as they have the same decision makers, they either need to be incredibly lucky with no brainer selections or they will just suck anyway. What GM says he had a better offer a couple of days earlier but settled for this one? What owner thinks you can run an NBA team like an 8th grade girls team and get the same results? GarPax has been bad, and deserve to go, but it could be worse. They could be Vlade Divac. The Bulls lost a coin flip with the Lakers once so they wound up with David Greenwood instead of Magic. That sucked, but if they won that flip, they never would have had Michael. Maybe something similar happens here. Cousins is a good player, but he has his issues. Maybe they will become awful enough to get the next guy who really transcends the game. It wasn't like Boogie was going to lead them to the promised land.

If you're waiting for MJ or Lebron, you're going to wait a long-ass time. Very few players can get you more than 40-45 wins by themselves.

Assigning all of the blame for the lack of wins on Boogie is silly to me. Yes, he's a prickly personality. So is MJ by most accounts. The situation doesn't do him any favors either. He got along with Malone and they were doing okay, but then they fired him and hired George freaking Karl. I'm not going to type all of their mistakes, but avoid even a few and they can be a playoff team. Hell, they're 1.5 out right now. Now they're Sixers-bad with morons running the team. At least get a piece that is going to do something to help fix that in the long term.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
Sounds like the following is a very real possibility:

Indy gets: Okafor/Jaylen brown/ BKN 17/Zeller

Philly gets: Avery Bradley

Boston gets: PG13/seraphin

I would think the Bulls would have interest in something like that for Butler (slightly different package) but something around that skeleton.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
Sounds like the following is a very real possibility:

Indy gets: Okafor/Jaylen brown/ BKN 17/Zeller

Philly gets: Avery Bradley

Boston gets: PG13/seraphin

That deal is so much better for Boston than the Butler ones being floated around. Wow.

E: Nevermind. Didn't look at it closely enough. Any idea if there are protections on the Brooklyn pick?

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
If you're waiting for MJ or Lebron, you're going to wait a long-ass time. Very few players can get you more than 40-45 wins by themselves.

Assigning all of the blame for the lack of wins on Boogie is silly to me. Yes, he's a prickly personality. So is MJ by most accounts. The situation doesn't do him any favors either. He got along with Malone and they were doing okay, but then they fired him and hired George freaking Karl. I'm not going to type all of their mistakes, but avoid even a few and they can be a playoff team. Hell, they're 1.5 out right now. Now they're Sixers-bad with morons running the team. At least get a piece that is going to do something to help fix that in the long term.

I have to ask the question...I realize George Karl didn't work in Sacremento, but why is George Karl a bad coach? Guy has been very successful in a couple different destinations.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
I have to ask the question...I realize George Karl didn't work in Sacremento, but why is George Karl a bad coach? Guy has been very successful in a couple different destinations.

I would say George Karl, at that point in his career, was not really a good coach anymore. I mean, look at what he did immediately upon getting hired. He immediately talked s*** about Boogie and tried to get him traded, openly. It was extremely unprofessional and things never got better

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)

He's not a bad coach, he's a bad fit. He's notoriously demanding and kind of a jerk. Did you see the quotes from his book? He's not exactly the best fit with a moody superstar, which is kind of funny given how many he worked with. He was also at the tail end of his career and didn't seem to give a s***.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
That deal is so much better for Boston than the Butler ones being floated around. Wow.

E: Nevermind. Didn't look at it closely enough. Any idea if there are protections on the Brooklyn pick?

It's still just a rumor. It's a decent deal for Boston, but they give up Bradley whom I'd much rather have than Crowder. I'm also unsure how Bradley can be dealt route now given his injury status.

I never considered the possibility of building Okafor into a Butler/Celtics package, but that changes things immensely. The guy is still just 20 years old and will wind up a steal for the team which acquires him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
It's still just a rumor. It's a decent deal for Boston, but they give up Bradley whom I'd much rather have than Crowder. I'm also unsure how Bradley can be dealt route now given his injury status.

I never considered the possibility of building Okafor into a Butler/Celtics package, but that changes things immensely. The guy is still just 20 years old and will wind up a steal for the team which acquires him.

The problem with Bradley is that he's a FA after next year and will probably get PAID. Crowder is dirt cheap until 2020. I don't strongly care about either since they would be trying to suck. Get the 2017 Brooklyn pick (f***'em if they want protections), Brown and other picks and/or the foreign guys. I've never really been a Smart fan either.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
I would think the Bulls would have interest in something like that for Butler (slightly different package) but something around that skeleton.

No we are a patrick beverly away from a title.