2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Not sure how anyone defends this organization anymore.

I agree. White Sox seem to be headed in the right direction (with Hahn having a clear line of authority or clearer then the past). Bulls are a mess. Awful coaching staff and lack of vision (or at least we don't know what the vision is as fans). But these moves showed very little clarity. Basically all we get is Payne for Doug/Taj and a 2nd round pick. Brilliant.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
Joe OstrowskiVerified account‏@JoeO670 3s4 seconds ago

More

Woj says Bulls and Celtics weren’t close. Bulls wanted to get pieces of C’s core and not draft picks.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the Bulls show me by the minute that they are dumber than I thought.

I don't believe Woj's report but if it were true, yes, it would be totally laughable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
Celtics are the real losers to me. Unless you really believe that all of Ball/Fulktz/Smith are high-level all-stars if not superstars in the future I don't get why you don't make a move.

Yes...absolutely yes.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
So, let's go ahead and take a look at what we dealt for Doug McDermott

Jusuf Nurkic, a 22 year old, high-upside center now starting for the Trail Blazers

Gary Harris, the 23 year old, starting 2-guard for the up-and-coming Denver Nuggets

Oh, but we also added a 2nd rounder and Taj Gibson to dump this guy.

F*ck off, GarPax. Can't wait to hear about how Payne is the future.

I read the overall cost for Doug at the time he was drafted was 2 first rounders and 3 2nd rounders(which were used to acquire the second first rounder, and to move up)

So, yea. that worked out great

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Celtics are the real losers to me. Unless you really believe that all of Ball/Fulktz/Smith are high-level all-stars if not superstars in the future I don't get why you don't make a move.

Someone said it best yesterday, that it really adds to LeBron legacy when teams are completely scared of adding franchise players because they still don't think they can compete with him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
So, let's go ahead and take a look at what we dealt for Doug McDermott

Jusuf Nurkic, a 22 year old, high-upside center now starting for the Trail Blazers

Gary Harris, the 23 year old, starting 2-guard for the up-and-coming Denver Nuggets

Oh, but we also added a 2nd rounder and Taj Gibson to dump this guy.

F*ck off, GarPax. Can't wait to hear about how Payne is the future.

Jesus

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)

I really don't blame them for not wanting to give up that Nets pick, not with this year's draft.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
Right. I would have probably said the same thing about the Sox this offseason if they held the status quo and tried to run with it again.

I just have no clue what the Bulls route is, and it seems very obvious they don't either. Asset management over there is a total joke, and they are a joke when it comes to the PR game and keeping the house in order.

If there was a player in town that got in as many fights with people in the organization as GarPax have over the years, we'd all call them a cancer and they need to be traded. That's GarPax

If they moved Niko in this, I'd have at least had some clarity that this was asset management, but they didn't do that? Unless they figure Niko will benefit from no Taj. But what is the point of keeping Rondo and MCW? If you like Payne / Grant / Denzel, don't you need to move the other guys so that there are minutes and they actually have a chance to develop into something? Ehh...don't get me started.

Royce YoungVerified account‏@royceyoung 15m15 minutes ago

More

The Thunder believe Payne is going to be a big time player, but playing behind Westbrook, wouldn't develop into the player he's capable of.

Whatever.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Royce YoungVerified account‏@royceyoung 15m15 minutes ago

More

The Thunder believe Payne is going to be a big time player, but playing behind Westbrook, wouldn't develop into the player he's capable of.

Whatever.

The Bulls must think that Payne has that talent as well. I know they liked him a lot coming out of the draft. Clearly based upon what they got, they thought pretty highly of Payne. I presume we'll see him log heavy minutes this year and I hope we see some flashes. Plenty of good PG's in this league have struggled the first couple of years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
Nope. All minor, cap saving deals. The big deals were ibaka to the raps and of course the cousins deal.

This is the NBA every year for the most part. Deadline is always a bunch of talk just to wind up with nothing. Them f***ing liars.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
Great as LeBron is, i'm just sick of him walking into the finals every year unchallenged for the most part. I REALLY wish the Wizards had traded for Cousins.

I get that from a fans point of view. I wouldn't have faulted the Celtics either making a trade involving that Nets pick and Jaylen but I wouldn't have thought it was a good deal either.

If it were me, Payne / Valentine would get the bulk of the PG minutes (we know I don't like Grant). I presume Zipser / Portis will have an increased workload as well (which isn't a bad thing...should at least allow Bulls to evaluate). Reality is Paynve / Valentine won't play and Rondo / Grant / MCW will get all those minutes.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
And there is literally zero evidence to say this Bulls coaching staff can develop talent

There is also literally zero evidence Cam Payne has the talent to develop into a big time player. That same s*** gets said every time a young player gets traded.

Can I ask for the developing talent people what exactly that means to you guys in the NBA? Do we think like Niko's shot mechanics are wrong, maybe he dribbles funny? Did Doug run flat footed on the Bulls? If we want to say their system might not be the best fit for these players then I can at least buy that but I just don't think 'player development' is something a coaching staff in the NBA has that much ability to control.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
Can I ask for the developing talent people what exactly that means to you guys in the NBA? Do we think like Niko's shot mechanics are wrong, maybe he dribbles funny? Did Doug run flat footed on the Bulls? If we want to say their system might not be the best fit for these players then I can at least buy that but I just don't think 'player development' is something a coaching staff in the NBA has that much ability to control.

This is way over simplified. To me there is an obvious difference in player development abilities when you look around the NBA. What is it that the Spurs are able to do with guys drafted at the end of the first round, that a team like the Kings can't do with lottery pick after lottery pick? Thibs is another one who took some guys who had no business being good NBA players and turning them into one. Look at Jimmy Butler. Look at Taj.