2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
The most annoying part is if he trades Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall and doesn't let those guys win the Bulls some extra games in 2002-2003 you are looking at maybe getting LeBron, Bosh , Anthony or Wade in the 2003 draft instead of f***ing Kirk Hinrich.

Just think of how different things would be if the Bulls were able to move up and get Wade. I mean we never know cause Rose clearly doesn't end up on the Bulls, but still. Some interesting reports today(no idea if they are true) about Gar having more clout with Michael Reinsdorf then Paxson and that Paxson is driving the blow it up movement but can't get any traction. One of the radio guys said that he doesn't even know if Paxson would be aware of the Celtics offering 2 1st round picks (which seems ridiculous).

I still generally believe that Paxson is a very good front office guy, although, I clearly can't ignore the fact that this chaos has happened under his watch.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to make a separate post, but if anyone read Taj's quotes following the trade...it was true Taj fashion. He did say some very nice things about Fred. Maybe it really is s***ty personal that doesn't fit Fred's style that is making Fred look so god awful. Paxson evidently broke down when he was saying good bye to Taj.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
Just think of how different things would be if the Bulls were able to move up and get Wade. I mean we never know cause Rose clearly doesn't end up on the Bulls, but still. Some interesting reports today(no idea if they are true) about Gar having more clout with Michael Reinsdorf then Paxson and that Paxson is driving the blow it up movement but can't get any traction. One of the radio guys said that he doesn't even know if Paxson would be aware of the Celtics offering 2 1st round picks (which seems ridiculous).

I still generally believe that Paxson is a very good front office guy, although, I clearly can't ignore the fact that this chaos has happened under his watch.

Part of being a good front office guy is being able to handle the organization politics and get the org moving as one. I can't give him partial credit.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
Part of being a good front office guy is being able to handle the organization politics and get the org moving as one. I can't give him partial credit.

How do you "organize politics" when your boss (the owner) is a complete dope & there's another guy in charge of moves?

The Chicago Bulls are pretty much the Kings at this point just with a history to fondly look back on. Joke of a franchise with no hope for as long as JR owns the team.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
How do you "organize politics" when your boss (the owner) is a complete dope & there's another guy in charge of moves?

The Chicago Bulls are pretty much the Kings at this point just with a history to fondly look back on. Joke of a franchise with no hope for as long as JR owns the team.

Hahn seems to have done it.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
If we don't trust the Bulls to draft, why do we trust them to surround Butler with talent?

I think it's easier to gauge NBA talent than college talent. They've shown they can evaluate secondary players in the NBA given that they USUALLY have good bench players. I mean, yeah, they've been terrible when it comes to signing big names, but hopefully Wade and Butler can persuade someone. I'd love to see the Clippers implode and Blake become available. I think the odds of that are better than the odds of some lottery picks working out.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
The most annoying part is if he trades Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall and doesn't let those guys win the Bulls some extra games in 2002-2003 you are looking at maybe getting LeBron, Bosh , Anthony or Wade in the 2003 draft instead of f***ing Kirk Hinrich.

The funny thing is that they could have moved up to get Wade, but decided against it because they didn't want to part with Marshall in the deal. Just brutal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)

What if you have said you want Gar out but the overall boss has said no or asked that you give him another year? One could argue that Pax would just walk, but none of us know for sure what the real situation is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)

It took a while to get there, but eventually it did. This is almost the reverse Hahn though as in that case, it was the rumors of KW having too much authority and RH being handcuffed where as in this scenario it is the GM having more authority then the president.

By the way, both the Celtics and Bulls beat writers are saying Woj's report of the Celtics offering both Nets picks is false. I think my own report is more accurate...which is that the Bulls barely even talked to the Celtics about Butler and all conversations were driven by Ainge wanting Butler and not the Bulls wanting to move Jimmy. Lots of Bulls people (and even other legit NBA reports (and Woj is the best...just not at covering the Bulls)) indicated the Bulls had made it very clear over the past couple days that Jimmy was not on the market. If teams wanted to call, they were welcome to do so, but the Bulls were not actively shopping him.

Geeze...the more time goes..the more it sits in on how much I'll miss Taj and how he went about his business. I hope he goes to a contender for the next couple of years (and gets paid) and wins some rings. Easily the type of guy you want to round out a team with championship aspirations. One of my all time favorite Bulls.

Its sad how fast and how far the Bulls have fallen from the Thibs era. Funny since Rose was the "star" and I never even shed a tear when he left. Noah, I missed, but knew the time was right...Taj I miss even more, because I envision him having a few more good years (not that I would have endorsed paying him). I think one of the biggest mistakes the Bulls could make this offseason is giving out long-term deals to mediocre players. If you are going to do that, do short-term deals (to buy time while you do other things) or blow it all on a player you think is really good. Don't get caught in between or be the idiots that the Lakers were.

Pax is getting upset. Won't commit to building around Jimmy says there are only a few players in NBA history you could build a team around, and when someone asked him about all the picks he used to get McBuckets, he said part of it created cap space for Pau, and then seem ed to want to blame the trade on Thibs. Amazing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
By the way, both the Celtics and Bulls beat writers are saying Woj's report of the Celtics offering both Nets picks is false. I think my own report is more accurate...which is that the Bulls barely even talked to the Celtics about Butler and all conversations were driven by Ainge wanting Butler and not the Bulls wanting to move Jimmy. Lots of Bulls people (and even other legit NBA reports (and Woj is the best...just not at covering the Bulls)) indicated the Bulls had made it very clear over the past couple days that Jimmy was not on the market. If teams wanted to call, they were welcome to do so, but the Bulls were not actively shopping him.

On the drive home listening to Waddle & Silvy, the belief around the league is Bulls haven't figured out what they want to do with Butler, meaning they haven't figured out if they want to compete or rebuild. They simply engage in trade talks to see what Butler's value was, but with no real intention of trading him.

One thing about Cameron Payne is that he really hasn't played that many minutes in the league to give him much of an evaluation. He missed most of last year with an injury and then reinjured himself this year and got back in January. Supposedly he is stoked about coming to the Bulls. Now it could be that he is just injury prone, it could be something different as well. If there is one thing I look forward to, it is I can at least get some kicks watching a few new guys for at least a couple games. I hope that as we see some of these young guys get burn, we feel a bit better vs. worse, but that is me...I always want to find an optimistic outlet because I don't follow sports to be bitter or dislike the product...I follow cause it gives me entertainment.

PS: I watch almost every Bulls game (and Bear) game. I went from being a regular watching the Sox to someone who could barely stand watching them. Not sure how much that will change this year until I see the product. I'm hoping I'll be more engaged with watching actual games this year, but who knows. Part of this is because my kids take a greater priority, but also, with limited time, I'm going to focus my energy on things that give me joy. IT is why I always say...I'd rather be the Indians of the 90's then the Marlins. Indians were damn enjoyable to watch...yes they never won the series, but they had a damn good run for a number of years vs. the Marlins who had two runs and garbage all around. When I look at the Bulls under Pax, in general, they have brought me lots of enjoyment and entertainment.

PS#2: That press conference. Why do I get the feeling that Pax is just out there taking one for the team and is mad because of it and thus throwing out the wrong things.

One thing to point out...I look forward to seeing how Zipser emerges this year. It will also be interesting to see what happens to Doug in OKC. Will he be better, worse or the same. I'll at least give the Bulls credit for not holding on to him any longer and cutting the chord when they did. Different then how they have handled things in the past (where they'd have waited one more year before they dumped him).

I had been reading that Bulls games have been pretty sparsely populated recently. Any of you guys go a lot that have seen this? I know the attendance figures are technically high but the Bears have shown how quickly the bottom can fall out even if tickets are "sold".

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)

Has he though? I like the moves the Sox have made this off season...but the teams Hahn has overseen thus far have been garbage despite having a couple stars...much like the Bulls.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 01:22 AM)
Has he though? I like the moves the Sox have made this off season...but the teams Hahn has overseen thus far have been garbage despite having a couple stars...much like the Bulls.

Sox finally chose a path to take rather than taking half measures

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)
One thing to point out...I look forward to seeing how Zipser emerges this year. It will also be interesting to see what happens to Doug in OKC. Will he be better, worse or the same. I'll at least give the Bulls credit for not holding on to him any longer and cutting the chord when they did. Different then how they have handled things in the past (where they'd have waited one more year before they dumped him).

Zipser is tied for the lowest PER in the league.......with Cameron Payne.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)
Zipser is tied for the lowest PER in the league.......with Cameron Payne.

Hoibergs "rotations" havent done him (or anyone on that bench, for that matter) any favors. Those guys will go a week and a half without playing, get thrown in a game out of nowhere, back to the bench, start 2 games, back to the bench.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 05:39 PM)
What if you have said you want Gar out but the overall boss has said no or asked that you give him another year? One could argue that Pax would just walk, but none of us know for sure what the real situation is.

I think that's a 2D way of looking at it. Yes, Paxson is being cut out at the knees. But how does a GM keep his job and preferred course over the wishes of his direct report? How did Gar become better allied.

Paxson being right isn't good enough, he needed to execute that, and part of that was hiring Forman.