2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
Not in the same league? I wouldn't go that far. But when your 3rd best player once scored 37 points in a quarter and 60 points in 29 minutes you are the heavy favorite against anybody. I'm just saying Cleveland has gotten LeBron everything and I mean EVERYTHING that he's asked for. I don't want to hear a thing about LeBron not having enough help come June.

Kevin Love once had 30 points and 30 rebounds in a game.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
J4L, regardless of what Lebron begged for/asked for/wanted, these guys are trash. You are acting like he added DWill and Bogut in their primes

These are players who, while ineffective as starters, are fantastic bench players to come in and log effective minutes.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
Obviously LeBron disagrees with you. You think he demanded more help to take down Toronto or Boston? Or are you saying he's slow (I won't use the R word) and wanted Cleveland to acquire Anthony Davis?

LeBron isn't stupid. He recognizes that the team he has isn't going to beat the Warriors with Kevin Durant. Of course he wants more. But so does the rest of the NBA. Why do you think that the best team in the history of the NBA blew away cap spaces and players to make room for Kevin Durant? Every body is looking for more. Singling out James for wanting more is silly, especially since even now the Warriors are adding players too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
These are players who, while ineffective as starters, are fantastic bench players to come in and log effective minutes.

I do agree that they should serve a solid purpose off the bench (but in many of these guys cases, they are on their last limbs, so what you are hoping for is that they can get themselves up for 10-15 minutes per playoff game where the roles fit). Bogut isn't great, but he can be a solid big body where necessary (that said, I don't see how he helps much against Golden State, for example).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
LeBron isn't stupid. He recognizes that the team he has isn't going to beat the Warriors with Kevin Durant. Of course he wants more. But so does the rest of the NBA. Why do you think that the best team in the history of the NBA blew away cap spaces and players to make room for Kevin Durant? Every body is looking for more. Singling out James for wanting more is silly, especially since even now the Warriors are adding players too.

What Lebron is doing, isn't forcing Cleveland to get better players (indirectly it might do a bit)...it is him trying to manage his legacy when he loses to Warriors in 5 games (hell...if he makes it to the Warriors). I don't love anyone in the east and Lebron is Lebron, but Cleveland just doesn't play that well together. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but they don't look like a championship team because the 3 guys on the team kind of neuter each other. I thought that would happen a bit with Golden State...but no...it didn't. KD is playing the best defense of his career.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
Joakim Noah out for the year. Having knee surgery. Love Jo and hope he can get better. We can all rip on Gar / Pax, but I will at least give them credit for not tying the Bulls up to an horrible long-term deal and allowing us the opportunity to be flexible. I could have easily seen them trying to keep one of Jo / Gasol and instead they made the right move as it related to both of them.

That said, I hope somehow the surgeons work a miracle and we can watch some healthy Joakim Noah in the future.

Very sad to see this as Jo is one of my all time favorite players. Even more sad is that the guy is pretty much done for. His body is rapidly failing him. I will always remember the way he played the game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)

Everybody didn't go on multiple rants to the media about needing more help. Everybody didn't bring up Charles Barkley's personal life because they didn't like being called out. Kyle Korver has hit an insane 40 of his last 64 3-point attempts. They got him for free. They're legit 12 deep with 2 legitimate all-stars as his 2nd and 3rd options. No excuses.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 01:01 PM)
Everybody didn't go on multiple rants to the media about needing more help. Everybody didn't bring up Charles Barkley's personal life because they didn't like being called out. Kyle Korver has hit an insane 40 of his last 64 3-point attempts. They got him for free. They're legit 12 deep with 2 legitimate all-stars as his 2nd and 3rd options. No excuses.

lol, irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. That has nothing to do with on the court stuff and team make up. That is all about Barkley trying to make money on LeBron's name and LeBron finally getting sick of it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
lol, irrelevant. Completely irrelevant. That has nothing to do with on the court stuff and team make up. That is all about Barkley trying to make money on LeBron's name and LeBron finally getting sick of it.

You lost me there. Barkley works as a commentator on an NBA pre-game show. It's his job to say stuff. He doesn't make more when he criticizes guys (rightly, in this case).

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
You lost me there. Barkley works as a commentator on an NBA pre-game show. It's his job to say stuff. He doesn't make more when he criticizes guys (rightly, in this case).

He keeps his job by generating attention at players expense. It is the same stuff that just happened with the explosion over Javele McGee. If he didn't generate attention, they would find someone else who did. NBA players are under no obligation to let critics piss down their legs and tell them it is raining with no blow back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
He keeps his job by generating attention at players expense. It is the same stuff that just happened with the explosion over Javele McGee. If he didn't generate attention, they would find someone else who did. NBA players are under no obligation to let critics piss down their legs and tell them it is raining with no blow back.

GMAB. All Charles said was that you already have two all-stars, a former 6th man of the year, and quality roleplayers up and down the roster and you're publicly demanding more help? OMG the horror. The Javele comparison is absolutely terrible.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
GMAB. All Charles said was that you already have two all-stars, a former 6th man of the year, and quality roleplayers up and down the roster and you're publicly demanding more help? OMG the horror. The Javele comparison is absolutely terrible.

And it is still meaningless, especially because GS is doing the exact same thing.

Embiid out indefinitely. He's not gonna make it. Damn shame. Losing Oden was bad enough but this guy has personality for days. Dario Saric will go down as one of the worst ROY winners in history.

E: Kyle Lowry done for at least the regular season. Wrist surgery. LeBron's road just got a lot easier.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
Embiid out indefinitely. He's not gonna make it. Damn shame. Losing Oden was bad enough but this guy has personality for days. Dario Saric will go down as one of the worst ROY winners in history.

E: Kyle Lowry done for at least the regular season. Wrist surgery. LeBron's road just got a lot easier.

Further emphasizes, that look at what "tanking" got the Sixers. One guy is down and out, another was widely available for trade but not dealt for a minimal package (Okafor) and a 3rd was sent to Dallas for a pretty minimal trade? The 4th is going to miss the entire season (albeit, he certainly has the most potential out of the group...not named the injured Embiid).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
Rumor the Knicks will waive DRose

Interesting. He's actually been better then he was last year (and largely healthy). I wonder why? Is this just a thing so they can suck even more? Or is Rose asking for it? Or is he that bad in the lockeroom (presume that isn't the case)?

Interesting...in the report they talk about how bad his defense is. Yes...I agree...he become one of the worst defensive players in the entire league (like Doug McDermott bad). He is actually shooting at a pretty high clip (from 2 point range). His assist totals continue to be awful (not sure how he ever almost average 8 APG when you think back and look at how lousy of a passer he is).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
Rose is just a terrible player at this point. He's no longer starter caliber and hasn't been for a while.

He'd probably be best suited in a 6-man type role, where he could come in and you just ask him to score (and he'd play hard those limited minutes). That said, probably too much to ask. I'm just glad he's another teams problem.

How high are expectations for the revamped New York Knicks? New point guard Derrick Rose curiously said some people have put New York in the same "super team" class as the Golden State Warriors.

"With these teams right now, they're saying us and Golden State are the super teams, and they're trying not to build that many super teams, and [commissioner] Adam Silver came out with the statement and this and that," Rose said during a recent interview with NBA.com.

"And the expectations I think of us, we just want to win. Talking to [Carmelo Anthony] and all the guys who've been around. You've got Brandon [Jennings] who just signed for one year, he's got to show why he's there. I've got to show why I'm there. Joakim [Noah] has to show why he's there. Everybody's trying to prove themselves."

godzilla-facepalm_o_204968.jpg