2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 1, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
Paxson is the better drafter and more aggressive, I like it.

Supposedly he wanted to actually address this mess, but was outvoted.

Either way...Paxson had a pretty darn good run at building the club. He probably is just as screwed up as Gar, but I at least saw a time where Paxson was head honcho and the Bulls were one of the more respected orgs in the league. It really wasn't even that long ago (sadly). And he built them back to that after an all-time low (post Jordan era).

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 1, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
"The general manager who drafted LeBron James "

Wow!!!!

Yeah, I got a kick out of that. That said, when it comes to Paxson, I do give him (or whomever made the decision) a lot of credit for taking Rose over Beasley. That was not some sure fire pick (as for a long time everyone thought Beasley was going to go #1). So while he got lucky, getting Rose, picking him over Beasley wasn't a sure thing. I bet it was 60/40 or something along those lines (in terms of what other teams would have done in the Bulls shoes).

Paxson: "You can't underscore the impact Rajon had with our young guys."

I saw young guys benched in the playoffs, or playing minimal, very inconsistent minutes. Plus his next quote is they don't seem to know what they have in their young guys. C'mon Pax, you at least used to be better than that. It's status quo at the UC. You want something to really happen, it will take about 10k cancellations of season tickets.

Then Gar adds how they are setting their cap space up.

Same s***, different year.

Are Gar and Pax the only people not aware their young players aren't a championship quality group?

Edited by Dick Allen

Paxson: "Our young guys need a consistent role. That is what we are focused on moving forward."

LMAO. So bring back Fred. You suck, sit out a week. So you have haven't played the last 5 games? You're starting tonight.

And in Fred's defense, maybe if one of these young players took their opportunity and ran with it, it wouldn't be so inconsistent. But, no one did, and it was because they aren't good enough.

They actually threw out Isiaah Thomas when discussing Cam Payne. Other than the shooting and the passing, and the scoring, they may have a point.

All Cam needs is to get into a little better shape. He's hardly played in 2 years.

Edited by Dick Allen

Though not a fred fan, they make it impossible to not side with any bulls coaches with how incredibly combative and openly critical they are.

Like how every manager with a bad bullpen looks terrible, fred looks a lot worse when he has to plug and play 5 guards that have no business in NBA. Maybe a little harsh on grant, but not far off.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 3, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
Though not a fred fan, they make it impossible to not side with any bulls coaches with how incredibly combative and openly critical they are.

Like how every manager with a bad bullpen looks terrible, fred looks a lot worse when he has to plug and play 5 guards that have no business in NBA. Maybe a little harsh on grant, but not far off.

They've made Fred Hoiberg a sympathetic figure. They want their young guys to play but their young guys all blow. They also want to make the playoffs while playing the s***ty young guys. They complain that it's hard to make a dramatic changes and then they say that help isn't coming because of where they pick in the draft. They choose that though. You are choosing to have the 16th pick every year. Nothing is changing until they stop making money. As long as fans continue to fill that place every night, this is what will happen. Bulls fans are getting everything they've asked for. They've shown over the years that the current "plan" is absolutely 100% good enough.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 3, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
What is the process for changing fanbases? Is it complicated?

No need to do that. Just marvel at the current NBA as a whole for the time being. We're about 5-6 weeks away from what is shaping up to be the greatest nba finals of all-time. The Bulls, at some point, will get with the times. Can't be this inept forever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
Call up a Golden State fan and find out.

Ain't that the truth?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
No need to do that. Just marvel at the current NBA as a whole for the time being. We're about 5-6 weeks away from what is shaping up to be the greatest nba finals of all-time. The Bulls, at some point, will get with the times. Can't be this inept forever.

Ugh, I don't know, man. The fact that those two guys are still in charge is infuriating. I have been a Paxson defender in the past, but this is all too much for me.

Edited by Sox-35th

You've flip flopped on the Cavs like 47 times this season. Now this is going to be the greatest NBA finals of all time?

Watching you talk about the NBA is like watching Apple talk about their iPhones.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 3, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
Ain't that the truth?

Ugh, I don't know, man. The fact that those two guys are still in charge is infuriating. I have been a Paxson defender in the past, but this is all too much for me.

Paxson has been here for 14 years, Gar was hired around Tim Floyd Era but came into power in 2007/2008ish. If anyone thinks the Bulls will eventually get it right while Jerry (and now especially Michael who is best friends with Gar) is running the team, they're out of their damn mind.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 3, 2017 -> 09:23 PM)
Paxson has been here for 14 years, Gar was hired around Tim Floyd Era but came into power in 2007/2008ish. If anyone thinks the Bulls will eventually get it right while Jerry (and now especially Michael who is best friends with Gar) is running the team, they're out of their damn mind.

Paxson took over as GM in 2003. He has hired 5 coaches and they have won 5 playoff series. They've actually only won 5 playoff series since 98. Their drafting has also fallen off the cliff since Matt Lloyd left the organization. The Bulls have fewer scouts than most teams and a semblance of an analytics department. Paxson basically took the reigns back yesterday and I'd rather have him in power than Gar but it's still just meh. I do think there's a solid chance that Pax trades Butler at the draft though and restarts the franchise.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 3, 2017 -> 09:23 PM)

I give Paxson credit for when he was GM. He rebuilt the franchise when it was bargain basement and fired all the right people and built this thing in the mid 2000s. That was a decade plus ago. The Derrick Rose pick (which was pure luck) caused us to tolerate the current regime for longer, but Derrick's fall, the tension between Thibs and the FO, and the subsequent failure of Fred Hoiberg has doomed this organization.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2017 -> 07:58 AM)
Paxson took over as GM in 2003. He has hired 5 coaches and they have won 5 playoff series. They've actually only won 5 playoff series since 98. Their drafting has also fallen off the cliff since Matt Lloyd left the organization. The Bulls have fewer scouts than most teams and a semblance of an analytics department. Paxson basically took the reigns back yesterday and I'd rather have him in power than Gar but it's still just meh. I do think there's a solid chance that Pax trades Butler at the draft though and restarts the franchise.

Agreed on this. Paxson was a solid GM for some time. Problem is he doesn't want to do it anymore and his responses to yesterday's press conference indicate that he really has no idea what the modern NBA is.

Edited by Sox-35th