2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Exactly. And remember people, it is a lot easier to attract FA pieces to teams with some talent than teams with literally no talent or all rookies.

We've certainly been cleaning up this way.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So trading Rose was terrible because of the crap they got back (even though they got a legit NBA center and a potential roster player in Grant), but you guys are upset the Bulls DIDN'T trade Taj for, at best, a role player?

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
So trading Rose was terrible because of the crap they got back (even though they got a legit NBA center and a potential roster player in Grant), but you guys are upset the Bulls DIDN'T trade Taj for, at best, a role player?

I'm fine with the Rose trade. I just think they should cash in as many of the veterans on short deals as possible. I don't think Taj Gibson has as much value as some but I'd love to be wrong. But yeah, I think their top priorities at this point should be to try and deal Dunleavy and Taj. They have no future with the Bulls. This isn't a playoff team and they should let the younger guys play to see who they have for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
It's a very good trade, but we'll see how it goes against GS. Ibaka was key because they could stay big. Draymond really struggled and now they have to guard him with a wing player. Oladipo is athletic, but not nearly as long as Ibaka. Their offense should be more diverse, but they still have 3 non-shooters in that lineup.

Roberson needs to literally take 1000 3-pointers a day this offseason. Oladipo shot almost 35% on 4 attempts per game from 3 last year. So he's hardly a liability out there.

Seemed like they are upset that the Bulls didnt trade him for similar value that Belinelli got. Taj is basically a role player himself, albeit a well paid one.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
Seemed like they are upset that the Bulls didnt trade him for similar value that Belinelli got. Taj is basically a role player himself, albeit a well paid one.

Yes and like I said, they need to get younger. They need to gamble on some young guys that have potential to be better that the old that they currently have. I guarantee that there will be SOMEBODY that was picked in the 20-30 picks that turns out to be a better player than Taj one day.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
I'm fine with the Rose trade. I just think they should cash in as many of the veterans on short deals as possible. I don't think Taj Gibson has as much value as some but I'd love to be wrong. But yeah, I think their top priorities at this point should be to try and deal Dunleavy and Taj. They have no future with the Bulls. This isn't a playoff team and they should let the younger guys play to see who they have for the foreseeable future.

I don't disagree, I just don't think Taj for some random 2nd rounder that is never going to contribute makes any sense, whether Taj is around in 2 years or not. He's a solid player, a starting caliber player, being paid a reasonable amount.

If you could send Taj, Dunleavy and a future pick for one of the point guards Phoenix has, I would do that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
Yes and like I said, they need to get younger. They need to gamble on some young guys that have potential to be better that the old that they currently have. I guarantee that there will be SOMEBODY that was picked in the 20-30 picks that turns out to be a better player than Taj one day.

Absolutely. I think PG DeJOunte Murray can be a star. Spurs stole him at 29.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
For a full rebuild, needed to ship Jimmy and Taj.

I don't blame them for not shipping Jimmy as the deals for him weren't up to snuff.

It's not really a full rebuild but they are still going to be pretty bad. I'd rather be really bad than pick 13th next year though.

Rose = 20mm of cap space next year

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)

It's possible sure, but unlikely. The odds are heavily against it. Taj is an annual 6th man of the year player. He'd start for a lot of teams out there. I would bet the percent of guys picked in the 20's that ever play meaningful NBA minutes is less than 10-20%.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
Rose = 20mm of cap space next year

I understand the Rose thing though. They could have gone into the season with him and traded him at the deadline. Instead they decided to take on Robin Lopez and Jerian Grant. They have to pay Lopez for the next 3 seasons now but I get it. If Rose would have gotten hurt, they would not have gotten anything for him other than the cap relief at season's end.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
It's not really a full rebuild but they are still going to be pretty bad. I'd rather be really bad than pick 13th next year though.

I know it's not.

It needs to be though.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
It's possible sure, but unlikely. The odds are heavily against it. Taj is an annual 6th man of the year player. He'd start for a lot of teams out there. I would bet the percent of guys picked in the 20's that ever play meaningful NBA minutes is less than 10-20%.

I looked at the past 5 drafts and yeah you are right, other than Butler being picked at 30 there is some brutal talent coming through. I was hard pressed to find anyone of note in the 20-30. But hey, that is where GarPax have to pull another Butler out of their ass. And if Taj is that great of an asset you should have been able to get a better pick than 20-30 for him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
Roberson needs to literally take 1000 3-pointers a day this offseason. Oladipo shot almost 35% on 4 attempts per game from 3 last year. So he's hardly a liability out there.

Oladipo was the other "shooter" with Durant. He's okay, kind of like Ibaka, though more attempts. Westbrook doesn't count because his percentage is abysmal.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
Yeah. If you could have traded Taj for a guy like Brice Johnson who went 26 I think, that would have been considered as a win in my book.

Bulls need to get younger and bank on potential. Not hold onto older players that have shown what they already are..... and that being not good enough.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
There is absolutely no reason why Taj Gibson should be on the Bulls to start the season. Portis and Mirotic need those minutes, he's in his early thirties, and is a free agent after the season. By all means though, keep him and try to get the 7th seed in the East.

I have no issue with trading Taj given his contract status, but if all you're getting for him is a 2nd rounder then you better be needing his cap space to sign Durant.

Worth noting that Mirotic's contract ends next offseason also though?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
Also, while catching up on this thread, I found it interesting to see how little comments there were on the Bulls' actual draft pick.

Did they pick someone last night?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
Also, while catching up on this thread, I found it interesting to see how little comments there were on the Bulls' actual draft pick.

I think everyone basically responded with "meh." He's not a great athlete, but he has a lot of basketball skills and there wasn't an obvious superior alternative.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
We've certainly been cleaning up this way.

Look...I'm sorry if people weren't okay with getting Boozer and being that close to a trip to the NBA finals (losing to the Heat in the conference finals while Rose had a bum ankle) and than of course missing out the following year when Rose tore his ACL in the playoffs, but you know what, I was okay with it. f***...some of you all want to be miserable forever and just watch lots of losing basketball. Sure, they could have landed better guys or Rose couldn't have gotten hurt, but the reality is that impacts things. This team had quite a few chances. Just a year ago, we were the right call from probably beating Cleveland and presumably going to the finals (to get crushed by Golden State). I.e., Blatt getting T'd up.

Now what happened since than was awful, i.e., dumping Thibs was a disaster move, but lets not act like the Bulls were some horrific franchise who had no shot. Than again, I'm sure a lot of people here would have traded Klay for Love and well, Golden State would never have won 1 title and they certainly wouldn't have the best regular season record in NBA history.