2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
It is all about the return.

I really don't even care about the return. Bulls aren't winning anything next year and I'd rather have the minutes go to Mirotic and Portis. I just hope they don't deal for someone where they take on salary in future years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
I'd rather trade Mirotic but oh well. See what happens in ATL with horford, if they lose him they may be a good candidate.

Yeah - I think Mirotic is someone we absolutely should be moving. He's a FA at the end of the year, IIRC. I am open to moving Taj or Niko or keeping them. If I keep Niko, it is because I want to give him more of an opportunity to show me what he is (after an up and down sophmore season) because I think potentially he's a longer term piece (clearly he is still young and has talent...of course I think he's more valuable in a deal to another team who overvalues that talent). If I keep Taj, it is because I'm not getting a meaningful offer and thus would rather keep him around so that the young players can benefit from his leadership, work ethic, and attitude. Taj might not be the greatest player on the planet, but he works hard, puts in his time, plays good defense, and does things the right way (and I want someone like Portis learning from him...especially if all I'm getting is nothing for him...please note, I think the Bulls can get something for him, but too many people just want to dump Taj for the sake of dumping him).

I also anticipate that the Bulls are going to be trying to compete this year (they aren't tanking) so despite what a lot of you want, the reality is, if you are intending to compete, moving Taj only makes sense if you get an athletic young piece back (or at least a future draft pick to go with the cap space you can leverage to sign a PG and someone else). If the Bulls don't intend to sign/acquire a legitimate PG, than yes, they should absolutely move Taj, but they should be able to get some value (as I can't see this team competing without a quality pg).

I don't want us to take on long term contracts, but I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Patrick Beverley, assuming availability rumors are true. Morey will want assets though, and we are not a team that should be trading them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
I'd rather trade Mirotic but oh well. See what happens in ATL with horford, if they lose him they may be a good candidate.

Taj has no future in Chicago though and just turned 31. They need to find out if Mirotic is a piece going forward.

He isn't. Taj/Portis give you much greater flexibility than Mirotic/Portis. Mirotic can certainly not be on floor same time as McDermott.

Niko is one of the biggest disappointments as a bull for me since Jay Williams.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
He isn't. Taj/Portis give you much greater flexibility than Mirotic/Portis. Mirotic can certainly not be on floor same time as McDermott.

We don't know what Mirotic is though. You've decided. Doesn't mean anyone else has. Taj has some value but barely any value to the Bulls going forward. Time to cash in.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)

Niko's first season: Awesome!

Niko's second season: Disappointment

Can we try and see what he is now that he'll likely be the 2nd or 3rd option on offense instead of the 4th or 5th?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
Niko's first season: Awesome!

Niko's second season: Disappointment

Can we try and see what he is now that he'll likely be the 2nd or 3rd option on offense instead of the 4th or 5th?

You mean last year?

He can't finish at the rim, he can't rebound, he can't defend, he can't play the 3 or the 5, and he can't rebound. He also fouls too much, tries to bail himself out with flopping and has not stopped pump faking.

He's 25, he's played 2 years. He started over 1/3 of the season last year. If he was going to improve he would have done it last year, the year where he shot 40% from 2.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 11:27 AM)
You mean last year?

He can't finish at the rim, he can't rebound, he can't defend, he can't play the 3 or the 5, and he can't rebound. He also fouls too much, tries to bail himself out with flopping and has not stopped pump faking.

He's 25, he's played 2 years. He started over 1/3 of the season last year. If he was going to improve he would have done it last year, the year where he shot 40% from 2.

You're right. I'm sure there's absolutely no chance that he improves or gets any better.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
Not that i'm surprised, but Chicago is not on the list of teams scheduled to meet with Durant.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16555870...s-heat-clippers

The elite players wont even be the slightest bit attracted to the Bulls org until at the very least GarPax is gone. And even then Jerry still owns the team. The Bulls have a terrible rep around the league and it would take a whole lot to turn that around. Needless to say I am not surprised at all that Durant isnt bothering with the Bulls or vice versa.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
I think it has much more to do with the fact, that we don't have the current roster Durant is looking at. If we had Rose in his prime (pre MVP form) plus Butler on his deal, Durant would be meeting with us.

If Rose would have been the player that he was supposed to be in his prime the whole damn picture would be different right now. Hell, they may have won a championship in there somewhere.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
If Rose would have been the player that he was supposed to be in his prime the whole damn picture would be different right now. Hell, they may have won a championship in there somewhere.

Agreed...but I'm saying, it is easy to say GarPax is the reason Durant isn't meeting here, but I think the realistic picture is, if we had a roster like any of the teams he is meeting with do, he would be meeting with us. I didn't see the Lakers / Knicks on his initial list and they are bigger market teams who have more cap space, etc (and each of their GM's have collected quite a few rings...with Phil having a hell of a reputation). Durant wants to win and he's picking the teams he thinks are the best potential fits to do so. Now I do think he'll ultimately meet with the Knicks / Lakers, but that is because they have a combination of young talent and tons of cap space (or soon to be clearing cap space) that KD potentially listens to that pitch to see what their plan is (even than, I don't know if he has that conversation and I certainly don't think he's leaving).

Either way, I think KD is staying...I'm just saying, we can blame Gar for a lot of things, I don't really think KD not coming here is because of Gar's reputation in the league and has more to do with the current roster / state of franchise, not being in a position to be an instant champion favorite with the signing of KD (PS: We can blame gar for that).