Zack Burdi's pro debut

NorthSideSox72

Just got back from the Winston-Salem game. I'll be writing a new post tonight, to go up tomorrow, with more video. But his fastball ran 98-101, mostly on the higher end... and hit 102 once. Confirmed on 2 radar guns. Ridiculous.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
The only health issues would be the hip or back may be the shoulder if he drags the arm too far behind with fatigue depending on how consistent he is with it. There is only a couple of pitches on the video. It's more a command issue with all of the extra twisting. that's a great deal of extra motion to control, of course it could also be the extra force he generates to throw that hard.

The low arm slot is always a debate. Mechanically it does but more stress on the elbow which he does not dissipate with the lack of follow through. With the odd beginning of the motion it may change this. i have no idea as I've never seen anyone start like that and haven't studied anything like it. Theoretically if he keeps his torso closer to his arm, it would decrease some of the forces in his arm. I'll be interested to see more video.

I can see why there was a reluctance to start him in the past. I bet when he fatigues his command goes quickly.

More video coming very soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 10:58 PM)
Your wish is my command.
, this one a sequence of 101-102-101 on his fastball. Consider it a teaser for tomorrow's article.

Still stands too high with the follow through but not as drastic in this one. He does look consistent though.

How did he look with a guy on first? With all of the twisting to the 3B side, it would be really tough to have a good pick off move.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 11:29 PM)
So he went from AZL to high-A just like that? Is he going to AA soon?

Most draftees start in the AZL for a brief stint. Not surprising he jumped to A+ right away. And you're right, he probably moves up to AA in a few weeks and possibly get a shot in the pros before the end of the season if all goes well.