Arodys Vizcaino

Alex Colome

Mark Melancon

Fernando Rodney

Brad Ziegler

A.J. Ramos

Jeremy Jeffress

David Phelps

And the price we're willing to pay, if anything...?

Assuming the White Sox are waiting on Morneau and/or the deadline trade market to heat up...and that they're also kicking the tires on more back-end starting rotation candidates (Fausto Carmona, come on down!), would you give up more top 10 pieces (not named Fulmer) to solidify the currently weak bullpen and possibly even help turn it back into a strength?

Or a Brett Myers/2012-like move, where you're not going for one of the best performers, rather a veteran with a long history and a decent-sized contract his team wants to dump in order to save money for 2017?

If we kept Latos we could've put Gonzalez in the pen. But I guess that ship has sailed. That was the smartest move that would allow the team to focus on trading for an impact bat (like Cargo) rather than just another guy and a reliever.

If they are honestly "going for it" they might as well just trade Fulmer and anyone else still in the minors to plug holes. Because the whole thing is going to have to get blown up if this 3 year plan doesn't work.

If they could do something like get Beltran and Cargo that would make me fairly confident we would be in the wild card mix until the last day. I'm sure Avi could be involved in one of those trades. Maybe even Saladino if they were willing to risk leaving the bench very thin.

lf - m cabrera

cf - eaton

rf - c gonzalez

dh - beltran

1b - abreu

2b - lawrie

ss - anderson

3b - frazier

c - avila (with collins in the wings)

That would be a pretty sweet lineup. Literally zero on the bench though. I guess we could bring up Leury as a speed guy off the bench. You also have Burdi as a potential setup man for end of this season and the playoffs. Rodon would really have to make some strides in the 2nd half of the season but that could be a surprisingly good playoff team.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 06:15 AM)
If we kept Latos we could've put Gonzalez in the pen. But I guess that ship has sailed. That was the smartest move that would allow the team to focus on trading for an impact bat (like Cargo) rather than just another guy and a reliever.

If they are honestly "going for it" they might as well just trade Fulmer and anyone else still in the minors to plug holes. Because the whole thing is going to have to get blown up if this 3 year plan doesn't work.

If they could do something like get Beltran and Cargo that would make me fairly confident we would be in the wild card mix until the last day. I'm sure Avi could be involved in one of those trades. Maybe even Saladino if they were willing to risk leaving the bench very thin.

lf - m cabrera

cf - eaton

rf - c gonzalez

dh - beltran

1b - abreu

2b - lawrie

ss - anderson

3b - frazier

That would be a pretty sweet lineup. Literally zero on the bench though. I guess we could bring up Leury as a speed guy off the bench. You also have Burdi as a potential setup man for end of this season and the playoffs. Rodon would really have to make some strides in the 2nd half of the season but that could be a surprisingly good playoff team.

They don't need to add two bats, as they are already committed to Morneau, to fill one spot. One more bat and a bullpen arm, would make more sense to me.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 06:45 AM)
They don't need to add two bats, as they are already committed to Morneau, to fill one spot. One more bat and a bullpen arm, would make more sense to me.

Come on Lillian, Morneau isnt a committment, he is a lottery ticket.

If Morneau doesn't come out of the gate with a hot bat he's going to be worthless. It's a 1 year deal and has he even played in a game in the last year? Might be better to have him on the bench as an insurance policy or to play matchups vs RHP after trades are made. We can't afford to send him out there every day at this point in the season if he's going to struggle for a month or two before he gets his swing back. Too many teams in the wild card race.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 06:02 AM)
Arodys Vizcaino

Alex Colome

Mark Melancon

Fernando Rodney

Brad Ziegler

A.J. Ramos

Jeremy Jeffress

David Phelps

And the price we're willing to pay, if anything...?

Assuming the White Sox are waiting on Morneau and/or the deadline trade market to heat up...and that they're also kicking the tires on more back-end starting rotation candidates (Fausto Carmona, come on down!), would you give up more top 10 pieces (not named Fulmer) to solidify the currently weak bullpen and possibly even help turn it back into a strength?

Or a Brett Myers/2012-like move, where you're not going for one of the best performers, rather a veteran with a long history and a decent-sized contract his team wants to dump in order to save money for 2017?

I would add Sean Doolittle and Will Smith to this mix

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 06:47 AM)
Come on Lillian, Morneau isnt a committment, he is a lottery ticket.

That may very well be, however two more bats, in addition to the Morneau "lottery ticket," just seems like overkill to me. I think that the bullpen is a higher priority.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)

I would put a 4/5 SP ahead of a bullpen arm. Who is next in line if Gonzo or Sheilds crashes or if one of the top 3 goes out w an injury? Unless you are comfortable w that choice, I think another starter who could do long relief and be ready just in case is a higher priority than a BP arm. Probably more expensive as well.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 07:20 AM)
That may very well be, however two more bats, in addition to the Morneau "lottery ticket," just seems like overkill to me. I think that the bullpen is a higher priority.

There is no such thing as too much hitting, and bullpen needs dont have to be ignored because they decided to insure themselves against Morneau flopping

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 05:15 AM)

lf - m cabrera

cf - eaton

rf - c gonzalez

dh - beltran

1b - abreu

2b - lawrie

ss - anderson

3b - frazier

This is the type of move/moves they have to make if they want to compete this year and next, unless they're 100% confident that Fulmer can be a back-end starter in 2017.

One problem is sending Eaton back to CF when he's better suited and more comfortable in RF.

I don't see JR taking on TWO big hitting contracts, though...it's going to be limited to one IMO. That means Bruce/Cargo/Beltran/Kemp/W.Myers/Ethier or Puig, etc.

LH

Cargo

Jake Lamb (will probably make All-Star team for AZ)

Jay Bruce

Charlie Blackmon (not sure if avail)

Freddie Freeman (see above)

Joey Votto (see above, contract's too big/too long)

Kole Calhoun (if Angels decide to sell)

John Jaso (if Pirates sell)

Jon Jay

Brett Gardner

Kevin Kiermaier

Switch

Jonathan Villar

Billy Hamilton

Yangervis Solarte

Carlos Beltran

Coco Crisp

Jed Lowrie

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 06:26 AM)
I would put a 4/5 SP ahead of a bullpen arm. Who is next in line if Gonzo or Sheilds crashes or if one of the top 3 goes out w an injury? Unless you are comfortable w that choice, I think another starter who could do long relief and be ready just in case is a higher priority than a BP arm. Probably more expensive as well.

Right now:

Ranaudo

Turner

Danish or Beck

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 06:26 AM)
Bobby Thigpen

Damaso Marte

Eddie Guardado

Kelvin Herrera

Greg Holland

Wade Davis

Ryan Madson

Joakim Soria

Dan Quisenberry

Jeff Montgomery

You will know the White Sox are actually making progress when someone on an Indians' or Royals' board expresses fear/respect in terms of facing the White Sox (beyond just Sale/Q/Rodon).

Harrelson does the same exact thing (w/ our opponents). Ozzie always overpraised the Twins/Piranhas.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)
You will know the White Sox are actually making progress when someone on an Indians' or Royals' board expresses fear/respect in terms of facing the White Sox (beyond just Sale/Q/Rodon).

Harrelson does the same exact thing (w/ our opponents). Ozzie always overpraised the Twins/Piranhas.

Im sure Robin prints out the Indians and Royals messageboards for bulletin board material.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 07:06 AM)
Im sure Robin prints out the Indians and Royals messageboards for bulletin board material.

Maybe the White Sox and Tigers should think about changing things up.

Worked for some of the NBA teams this post-season.

And, since the Tigers are 0-9 against the Indians this year so far, what do they have to lose?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
I think you could add in a catcher in a deal with the Padres.

Jay, Maurer (former Sox target), and Bethancourt or Norris for a package around Fulmer and Engel. Padres need to clear the way for Hedges any way.

Trade a #1-2 prospect for a 4th outfielder, reliever, and good defensive catcher? No thanks.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
I think you could add in a catcher in a deal with the Padres.

Jay, Maurer (former Sox target), and Bethancourt or Norris for a package around Fulmer and Engel. Padres need to clear the way for Hedges any way.

First off jay is going to dl today. Second sox aren't picking up a LH run producing bat they need. To much to give up for that group

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
I don't want to use more resources on acquiring a reliever until we are 10 games over again.

Exactly. Hopes of winning the division disappeared a long time ago. Good luck getting in wild card contention. The White Sox either should sell, sell sell in an attempt to rebuild or make moves based on next season. Sure if you can get a good reliever for nothing, go for it, but make moves in regards to the future not this season. That ship has sailed.

Personally I'd trade Lawrie, Shields, Melky, Avi for starters. And also dump Robertson and maybe even Frazier. Sell time.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
Exactly. Hopes of winning the division disappeared a long time ago. Good luck getting in wild card contention. The White Sox either should sell, sell sell in an attempt to rebuild or make moves based on next season. Sure if you can get a good reliever for nothing, go for it, but make moves in regards to the future not this season. That ship has sailed.

Personally I'd trade Lawrie, Melky, Avi for starters. And also dump Robertson and maybe even Frazier. Sell time.

Make moves based on next season...but be sure you deal everyone signed for next season. Makes sense.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)

Personally I'd trade Lawrie, Shields, Melky, Avi for starters. And also dump Robertson and maybe even Frazier. Sell time.

If you are trading those players you might as week trade Q, Sale and Abreu. Otherwise there will be so many holes to fill it will be pointless