Zach Burdi headed to Birmingham

southsider2k5

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
Just want to make sure he doesn't come up and walk everyone and their mother and be a disaster. We'll see how he does in AA.

He hasn't walked anyone in the minors yet and didn't really do walk a bunch at Louisville. That fear seems somewhat irrational.

No matter how you slice it, they aren't going to consider turning Burdi into a starter until next season. Therefore, if there is any chance he can help the big league club in the near future, there's no downside to calling him up other than potentially wasting an option year on him. Hopefully after a week or two, we'll see if he's worth that risk and my guess is he will be.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
He hasn't walked anyone in the minors yet and didn't really do walk a bunch at Louisville. That fear seems somewhat irrational.

You really think it's going to be a walk in the park for him to just "show up" in the big leagues so quickly?

Addison Reed was one of the best collegiate closers in the game at SD State (w/ Strasburg also there) and he didn't progress nearly that quickly with his two pitch, FB/slider combination.

It has taken him until the last couple of years as a set-up guy in NY to really start to figure some things out.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
No matter how you slice it, they aren't going to consider turning Burdi into a starter until next season. Therefore, if there is any chance he can help the big league club in the near future, there's no downside to calling him up other than potentially wasting an option year on him. Hopefully after a week or two, we'll see if he's worth that risk and my guess is he will be.

An option year shouldn't be a problem. But you lose a control year or part of one.

Plus he's had a long year already.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
An option year shouldn't be a problem. But you lose a control year or part of one.

Plus he's had a long year already.

You lose half of a control year, but it gets him a taste of big league experience while helping the major league club. Even if you plan on converting him to a starter, I still think it's worth the cost.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
Does anyone really see Burdi being sent down 4 times? Option years don't really matter then.

Sent down isn't the scenario where it would obviously matter. If he's brought up this year and then hypothetically they wanted to make him a starter, wouldn't they need to have him in the minors for >1 year, and every year that he would work at getting stretched out and starting would thus be a year that took another option?

Nate Jones throws 96-100 MPH.

We all know how hard Jenks threw.

Let's just assume that Burdi's agent took a 100-101 or even 102 and massaged the number up a bit.

Everyone's now getting carried away assuming he's going to fly up like Aroldis Chapman and dominate when he was giving up 1 H/IP.

How long did it take Jones, Jenks or even Addison Reed to make it?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)
Sent down isn't the scenario where it would obviously matter. If he's brought up this year and then hypothetically they wanted to make him a starter, wouldn't they need to have him in the minors for >1 year, and every year that he would work at getting stretched out and starting would thus be a year that took another option?

Does anyone see Burdi getting sent to the minors for four more years?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
Does anyone see Burdi getting sent to the minors for four more years?

Basically I think that's you saying you think there's 0 chance of him being turned into a starter.

I'm ok with that, just be honest and say what you mean.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)
Basically I think that's you saying you think there's 0 chance of him being turned into a starter.

I'm ok with that, just be honest and say what you mean.

That isn't what I am saying at all. And I think you know what I mean, like usual. I think they will absolutely try to make him a starter, but they won't stretch it over 4 years. That would be the most un-White Sox like thing ever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 07:26 PM)
That isn't what I am saying at all. And I think you know what I mean, like usual. I think they will absolutely try to make him a starter, but they won't stretch it over 4 years. That would be the most un-White Sox like thing ever.

So do you think they can turn him into a starter in under 3 seasons? Because a general guess from me would be 2 years and 3 options is pushing it close.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)
So do you think they can turn him into a starter in under 3 seasons? Because a general guess from me would be 2 years and 3 options is pushing it close.

I absolutely think they will do so. They stretched out Quintana and Sale absurd amounts in a very short period of time, and I think they will do the same with Burdi.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)

If it would take longer than that he won't be a starter. He could do it in a year . 5 or 6 innings a start is all he has to get to initially. That shouldn't take long. Hector Santiago went from 1 start his first 5 years in the Sox system to over 25 in a year, then was called up as a reliever and moved into the rotation.

If he is really throwing 104, I don't think they will,want him spending time in the minors,working on throwing 96 for 5 or 6 innings.

Edited by Dick Allen

If all that's true, why did no other organization think to convert him into a starter?

Remember all the hype over Tyler Kolek two years ago? This is a guy with a similar large frame (albeit older) throwing over 100 MPH. Why wouldn't he be a Top 10-15 pick (for other teams)?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 06:42 PM)
If all that's true, why did no other organization think to convert him into a starter?

Because he doesn't have all the pitches to be a starter. And while the Sox think that they could make him into a starter, I haven't seen much out of them that that's a high priority. Hahn seems intent on rushing him up. And frankly, he sort of has to to justify #26.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
Because he doesn't have all the pitches to be a starter. And while the Sox think that they could make him into a starter, I haven't seen much out of them that that's a high priority. Hahn seems intent on rushing him up, just like he did with Rodon (hope it works out better than the Rodon rush-up did; he still doesn't have a change).

Burdi does have 3 pitches. Fastball, change, slider.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
Because he doesn't have all the pitches to be a starter. And while the Sox think that they could make him into a starter, I haven't seen much out of them that that's a high priority. Hahn seems intent on rushing him up. And frankly, he sort of has to to justify #26.

This makes no sense. He is on the Chris Sale path to the MLB and last I checked he transitioned from the bullpen to the rotation with the sox. The transition will mostly happen in the off season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 06:42 PM)

Remember all the hype over Tyler Kolek two years ago? This is a guy with a similar large frame (albeit older) throwing over 100 MPH. Why wouldn't he be a Top 10-15 pick (for other teams)?

I'm sure plenty though about it. Just like many thought Sale would only be a reliever due to his odd mechanics.

It was true for Sale as well. As a matter of fact many teams didn't want to draft him for fear of injury with the odd mechanics.

Edit: this is a response to caulfield12 changing my post. I don't know how to get that to appear.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
Caulfield, what?

There were also a number of concerns about Fulmer and Danish having the ability to make it to the big leagues as starters when they were drafted.

Sale, Fulmer and Burdi...all quite obviously (of course, Tyler was a lesser draft choice).

Just wonder how many times they can go against the grain or conventional scouting wisdom???

Even Rodon has lots of mechanical issues that PTAC has been on top of since the first moment he was drafted, and which have proved to be pretty prophetic (so far).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)
There were also a number of concerns about Fulmer and Danish having the ability to make it to the big leagues as starters when they were drafted.

Sale, Fulmer and Burdi...all quite obviously (of course, Tyler was a lesser draft choice).

Just wonder how many times they can go against the grain or conventional scouting wisdom???

Even Rodon has lots of mechanical issues that PTAC has been on top of since the first moment he was drafted, and which have proved to be pretty prophetic (so far).

Im not sure where this going against the grain comes from. Many "experts" said before the draft that Burdi would be able to help a MLB pen this year.

Most teams will take a pitcher like fulmer and start him if nothing else to huild his arm up to handle an MLB pen load. The upside could be that he ends up bring a starter.

Rodon was considered one if thetop arms in the draft. The sox git him lower than most "experts" thought he would go.

The sox aren't doing anything different than what most teams would do.

I can't believe you a going after the sox on handling pitchers. If anything they do that fairly well.