Carson Fulmer "in play" for second half

Whisox05

http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/7/7/12116...wn-out-of-order

Really good article that looks at Burdi, Fulmer and Adams...and how these last few days have affected their progression in the Sox system.

Argues for Fulmer to the pen, holding back on rushing Burdi (for now) and concern that the Adams injury will slow down potential trade talks.

Also notes we asked the Yankees about Gary Sanchez and got nowhere because of expected sky high asking price.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
I always thought Beckham's progress was somewhat thwarted by all of the muscle he put on after he had been called up. In 2009 when he first came up and had the success he had that season, he was far less muscular than he started to be in subsequent seasons. Whatever workout regimens he was on during the offseasons after 2009 led him to put a lot of bulk on his frame, and I always wondered if that somehow negatively impacted his swing, as in, maybe slowing it down. I don't know. Just seemed like all of the muscle didn't serve him well.

Could be. Different players react differently when their body changes. Sometimes it's the mental part of the physical change as well, "I bulked up so now I'm a power hitter."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/7/7/12116...wn-out-of-order

Really good article that looks at Burdi, Fulmer and Adams...and how these last few days have affected their progression in the Sox system.

Argues for Fulmer to the pen, holding back on rushing Burdi (for now) and concern that the Adams injury will slow down potential trade talks.

Also notes we asked the Yankees about Gary Sanchez and got nowhere because of expected sky high asking price.

The issue with these articles is that they don't know the players well enough to know if they are ready to handle the progression. They really need to see the players day in and day out to know if they can handle it.

Can fulmer go out there and pitch every other day and keep his arm sharp? Was Burdi just overthrowing because he was excited, was the mound different in that ballpark and he didn't have time to get used to it. He has never shown a control issue in the past.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
An entirely valid question in reply though is whether he would have been more successful developing that 3rd pitch in AA and AAA for the last season+.

Right now he has to pitch to win games because the White Sox are trying to win games and he's the #3 starter on a team that tells itself they're a contender. He cannot afford to give up a home run on his worst pitch, or walk the bases loaded because he is working on that 3rd pitch. No one cares if Charlotte or Birmingham lose a game because he throws too many changeups.

It is certainly possible to develop a 3rd pitch at the big league level in the offseason or throwing sessions, but that may not work for everyone. So far it has not worked for Rodon, and the organization seems to have bet that it would.

The other issue is that he has always had poor command so will it ever get any better? Maybe the Sox just decided that this is what he is and they'll live with it.

As I said when he was drafted, his mechanics will lead to command issues and inconsistency.

I don't think the last start is much to worry about he looked tired and the break coming up will help that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
The other issue is that he has always had poor command so will it ever get any better? Maybe the Sox just decided that this is what he is and they'll live with it.

As I said when he was drafted, his mechanics will lead to command issues and inconsistency.

I don't think the last start is much to worry about he looked tired and the break coming up will help that.

Probably. I think the issue right now is there is a big difference in what the Sox believe they have now in Rodon and in what they will have in him in a few years. We've seen him get stuck in some ruts and get knocked around for stretches and we've seen him dominate for stretches. Sort of reminds me of a left-handed Gavin Floyd right now with a Jon Lester-type potential.

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
This, and his mechanics aren't really that good. He gets poor extension, his delivery isn't all too repeatable, and doesn't stay on top of the baseball well. All of that combined will equate to a lack of command.

Rodon literally will lose an entire side of the plate, hitters know it because its easy to scout. Once you cut down strikes on one side its easy to hit.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
Rodon literally will lose an entire side of the plate, hitters know it because its easy to scout. Once you cut down strikes on one side its easy to hit.

What do you mean? His command, getting squeezed, or something else?

Because of his mechanics/delivery/follow-through, it's really limiting to the areas of the plate he can confidently throw to...which is causing opposite hitters to key on that location.

At least that's the argument.

For example, JR Richard could throw harder than Rodon and almost anyone in the history of the game, but he was hesitant to throw inside to batters for fear of hitting them...so they (hitters) always had the luxury of diving out over the plate and driving the ball in the opposite direction, knowing he wasn't going to come inside and not fearing being hit by a 98-102 MPH fastball.